Verizon LG G2 - Great Phone - Two Issues

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Loving the display, speed and UI.

Two Issues:

Knock on - a great feature that only works about 70% of the time. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have a feature this well thought out that just doesn't work all of the time. It has to be a conflict between sleep mode and knock on. Knock off, which is a feature that is used only when the device is "awake," works 100%.

Heat - Usually cool but twice when using the phone as a GPS, the display glass got so hot, I couldn't hold it against my ear during a call. Both trips were about 45 minutes and the phone was placed in my center console. I did have the display at 100% brightness.

These issues are potential deal breakers for me. I really can't stand the inconsistent knock on.

GPilot650

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Knock on faulty - agreed.
I've started to knock, and then knock knock.

I told Vz today that 8 of 10 times it doesn't work immediately. Not a deal breaker, but is frustrating.

Heat- agrees. Its v warm.
Noticed the heat last night while setting it update. Top half only was hot, as others have reported. GPS was off. Screen was full bright. We'll see if it's a faulty phone, or just how it is. Can't be good for the life of the processor. I do have a Vz jelly case on.

I do love a lot about it tho. The keyboard so far, as good if not better than Swiftkey once you get used to it.

Multitasking is great. I do a,lot of reference type emails, so using slide aside is great for me.

Ui- I was a die-hard Nova guy.
The only thing Im missing so far is multiple docks. Easy to set up other Windows tho.

Finally, added dynamic notifications today. Works awesome even with knock-knock-knock on.

I could go on but thought I'd report on benefits I haven't seen others really speak of.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
what's dynamic notifications? the moto x stuff? how does that work with LCD, because on amoled it makes sense bc the screen is only lit up for the notifications.. but on LCD the entire screen lights up because blacks aren't pure black. how's it look?

also I remember someone said there was an international OTA that made knock on more responsive... maybe we'll get something to help

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk 4

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised at those reporting the phone getting hot. Every phone I've had prior gets much hotter. They're lousy radios would start the phone searching and the heat would get so bad I'd have to take it out of my pocket.

I'm good 80% of the time with knock knock. The other 20% requires a 2nd set of knock knock. Surely we'll be seeing LG 'knock knock' jokes. :)

rsjet

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
100% brightness is definitely the main reason your phone is getting hot. I keep mine at auto with 70% minimum and it stays nice and cool most of the time and at worst gets warm.

Almost every phone gets extremely hot at 100% brightness.

The knock on works 90% of the time for me unless I do it too slow or too fast. I find if you do a sure fingered double tap (but not too fast) it works almost always.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The only time mine got hot was when I was downloading 1.5 gig of maps for Copilot Live. I keep my screen at 60%.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have really abused the phone a couple times, meaning running the brightness at 100% while streaming videos on YouTube, IDMb, and Netflix. Running several apps that use data including surfing the web. Also watching downloaded videos and all on 4G. This was in a 7 hour period where I had the screen on over 5 hours, I mean I really gave it no rest. And it never even got warm. Of course this wasn't using GPS so maybe that had something to do with it.

I agree about the Knock On, but it seems to only happen after the phone has been at rest for a while. So one thing I started trying to do after the phone has set is start if with the power button. After that use Knock On to turn it on and off.

I'm loving the phone and don't see the Knock On not working all the time as a reason to return it, and at some point in time every phone will get hot.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
How do u use the rear buttons for camera and what not? When I long press it just moves volume rocker.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site
How do u use the rear buttons for camera and what not? When I long press it just moves volume rocker.

Only when the screen is off do they work

- - - Updated - - -

Only when the screen is off do they work

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the knock on/off is not very reliable. Might have to start using the button instead. Mine doesn't get hot at all, but I'm not playing games etc.

I also wish you could turn off or change the long hold rear buttons thing. I don't sue that memo thing and it has come on inadvertently a couple times coming out of my pocket.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
My Knock On has been about 95% accurate. My two main niggles and deal breakers for me are: 1) Terrible Bluetooth connectivity issues with my 2011 Nissan Maxima and HTC Stereo Blue Clip for streaming audio. The G2 never automatically connects to either device. I have to go into Bluetooth settings and manually click on the device and even then It might take 5 to 10 tries to connect. 2) Any email sent from the built in email app makes a noise to let you know the email was sent successfully. No way to turn it off other than to make your phone silent. It is very annoying. It does not happen with the Gmail app. I also have all Notifications to Silent setting. I have used dozens of smartphones in the past two years and I have never had one with an email sent sound that can't be turned off. I called LG this morning and they verified that there is no way to turn off the noise other than to put the phone on silent which prevents my phone from ringing when in my briefcase. The LG rep said that a lot of users have complained about that. There is no scheduled fix. Sadly, I had to return my G2 today. It is an awesome phone, but unfortunately will not work for me.

cwyman1

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having issues with the knock on feature. Working only about 50% of the time.

I also have issue with a screen lock loop. If I try to knock-on the phone and it doesn't work, I'll try again and it doesn't work, so I push the power button. The lock screen shows up for about a second, then screen goes black. I push the power button on again and it shows for about a second and the screen goes black. Sometimes I need to do this 10-15 times or more before I can actually unlock the phone. VERY ANNOYING!!:mad: Especially when trying to pull out the phone quickly to take a picture before missing the shot. Is anyone else having this issue or should I exchange my phone?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd exchange it. Try the demo in the store first to see how you find it relative to yours. The knock on is prone to some misses, but I don't it should be 50-50. Mine is about 80%-90% and I've never had the issue with the power button.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
When using knock on, you have to double tap directly in the center of the screen. If you tap too high or too low it doesn't work properly.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That's when you press volume down to quickly launch camera app.
I'm also having issues with the knock on feature. Working only about 50% of the time.

I also have issue with a screen lock loop. If I try to knock-on the phone and it doesn't work, I'll try again and it doesn't work, so I push the power button. The lock screen shows up for about a second, then screen goes black. I push the power button on again and it shows for about a second and the screen goes black. Sometimes I need to do this 10-15 times or more before I can actually unlock the phone. VERY ANNOYING!!:mad: Especially when trying to pull out the phone quickly to take a picture before missing the shot. Is anyone else having this issue or should I exchange my phone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
For knock off, it works most of the time for me when I tap the area near the clock in the top status bar. As far as the knock on, it seldom works right. I find you have to touch the screen first and then double knock and then it is more reliable. Almost easier to press the power button.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
For knock off, it works most of the time for me when I tap the area near the clock in the top status bar. As far as the knock on, it seldom works right. I find you have to touch the screen first and then double knock and then it is more reliable. Almost easier to press the power button.

Again, tapping dead center makes it work. It hasn't missed a single knock on gesture if I tapped dead center.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Again, tapping dead center makes it work. It hasn't missed a single knock on gesture if I tapped dead center.

Did you read that in the manual or somewhere else? It does seem to work better that way.

Tapatalk mofo

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek