Verizon Moto G on post paid? Thought it was prepaid only

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I bought the moto g as a prepaid only device for testing Android builds. I was able to swap it into my account on VZW. Works great. Best phone for the price. Really nice phone. Can't promise this will work for anyone else but I'll take it.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thought it was prepaid only

I bought the moto g as a prepaid only device for testing Android builds. I was able to swap it into my account on VZW. Works great. Best phone for the price. Really nice phone. Can't promise this will work for anyone else but I'll take it.

Did you activate it at all on a prepaid line?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thought it was prepaid only

Could you post a pic from the My Verizon app or the Verizon website showing the G on a post-paid line? Block out any personal information, of course.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If I do that someone might try it and fail. I wasn't intending to use it as a phone just as an android iPod so to speak. If you're really curious I'll post it when the kids are in bed.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I bypassed the initial activation. Setup the play account. 4 days later signed in to VZW, swapped out a dumb phone with the moto g. It added 10 to my monthly bill. I have the new family share plan. It's 40 each smartphone. Plus the unlimited minutes\sms and data. I then switched the g with my main line. Voilla!

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Update: I got homesick for my iPhone so called VZW to switch the lines with moto g with iPhone. They tried but their system wouldn't let them do it. So I had them put a dumb phone back on the line. Here is where it gets interesting : I was then able to go online a few days later and switch the moto g back in to replace the dumb phone on my 2nd line.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is tempting and making me want to try it!

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on an old Nationwide FamilyShare plan. The Verizon Wireless website accepts the Moto G and let's me configure text and data plans. Minimum data plan available is the 2GB for $30 so I didn't submit the final step.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I am using a shared plan so it was only adding 10 to that line for me. Nice to see someone else could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else using the Moto g on postpaid?

For those using it, everything still working good?

Any way to get it working without the data plan?
dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Something changed on the Verizon site. Now when I try to activate my Moto G on post-paid, it wants me to change the text plans for my other two lines as well. Those lines are both on $10/500 message plans currently. I don't get the option to keep their existing plans.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried to activate on prepaid but no go. Online or over the phone. Said that it needs 6 mo prepaid.

Sent from my Verizon Moto G

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Apparently I have to call to get a new line on my plan without touching the grandfathered text plans for my current lines. Seems like I'd have to activate an older phone then just do ESN/MEID swaps to get the Moto G on a post-paid line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Apparently I have to call to get a new line on my plan without touching the grandfathered text plans for my current lines. Seems like I'd have to activate an older phone then just do ESN/MEID swaps to get the Moto G on a post-paid line.

I tried to activate the Moto g on a current dumb phone line, no go. Not sure why it works for you, but doesn't work for me.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dijablue