Verizon Moto X on cricket (at&t) - will it have hspa+ access?

A

AC Question

I am about to give my parents my old Verizon Moto X (2014) as their first smart phone. But I am also going to add them to my cricket plan (which runs on the at&t network).

I've already tried swapping in a cricket sim and here in the bay area it works perfectly (running on the LTE network).

But my parents live in Michigan which, as far as I can tell, uses band 5 for at&t. The Moto X (Verizon) does not operate on that frequency so they most likely won't have access to an LTE network out there.

My questions are as follows (please excuse the basic nature of these questions, I really don't know all that much about this stuff and all of my googling hasn't helped me answer these specific questions):

Even if they don't have access to LTE, would they at least have reliable access to an hspa+ network?

Would they have reliable access to the voice network (I.e. Is that a different network than the hspa/gsm/LTE stuff? )

If the answers to these are yes, would the hspa network be fast enough for gps usage (I.e. Downloading the map info and traffic instructions)? They wouldn't be using it for anything else. (This is just a starter phone to see if they can handle a smart phone... If so I'll upgrade them. But they are in their eighties and I don't want to buy a new phone if they can't figure out how to use it).

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38