Verizon opted out of 50GiG Dropbox promo for S3

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Im sure that VZW was just looking out for our best interests...:confused::confused::confused::-$;)

Yeah...I'm sure they want us to buy a 64gig micro SD instead. :cool:

To be honest, this is complete bull$hit. Not sure how the negotiations goes with the carriers and the promo. But AT&T did it also. Sure would like to know more.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
you were the first to post this, but i knew about this for a week.
the negotiations went exactly like this

dropbox- "we will give your loyal customers 50 gb free if they buy
the new s3. All it will cost you is 30 cents a phone"

vzw- "well 30 cents cents on our end is a little steep"

dropbox- "but arent you now collecting 30 dollars for each of these new upgrades?

vzw- "yes we are, and if we wanted to collect $29.70 then we would have only charged $29.70. " "thanks but no thanks, our customers are fine with what we want them to have for now"

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I figured the negotiations were more like this

Drop box - hi we would like to give your customers 50 gb of storage for free.

Verizon - Free? What's that?

Drop box - um you know free, no charge.

Verizon No charge? What's that?

Drop box - No charge, you know, you let your customers use it for no money.

Verizon - Are you frigging crazy???!!! No money!!!!?? No thanks We will soon be locking our customers into a new shared storage program that we will be charging an arm and a leg for.

Drop box - well that seems rather greedy.

Verizon - By the way all our future updates will block you from being installed on our phones. Welcome to Google wallet world, have a nice day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ScandaLeX

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
oh well. You only got the 50 GB for 2 years if I remember correctly any way.

Your right, I would actually never use it I just like making fun of VZW ... They get the last laugh anyway cause I am certainly not going anywhere else .... The whole s3 situation is a perfect example of that .

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I got 50gig of BOX. Dropbox can handle folders. BOX does not. Since Dropbox did away with my hack version of HTC sense promo, I was hoping this would make up for it. Very dissapointed over here.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So lame! I was looking forward to sharing my photos this way.

If I can edit my build.prop and work around this, I'm going to!

I am not a happy customer at all. Debating whether or not I should cancel my preorder.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope XDA hacks this and allow us all to screw Verizon which they very much deserve. I'm sure the Dropbox app has no way of sending out your IMEI etc since it doesn't need root.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
btw the real reason for this is simple - Dropbox recently announced video streaming or ICS. The carriers don't care about storage, since no one is going to sync files to their phone. But streaming video opens up lots of options. And is much easier to use.

The fact is most people just don't use their 2GB bandwidth, so the carrier can overprovision it. Video streaming from something as easy as Dropbox will change that.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
So lame! I was looking forward to sharing my photos this way.

If I can edit my build.prop and work around this, I'm going to!

I am not a happy customer at all. Debating whether or not I should cancel my preorder.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

If you have google plus (free), you can automatically sync all your pics to the Google+ "cloud" in real time and the pics/video do not count against your "Google Drive" storage space. That's what I do, then for other stuff (docs mainly), I have the free 5gb of Google Drive. The loss of the Dropbox promo is not a big deal for me, as I just keep docs and a few manuals "in the cloud", and the rest is either on my SD card, my PC or Pogo (accessible by internet or android app). I can't see my self spending $120 dollars a year for 50gb of "cloud storage" once the promo runs out, when I got a lifetime subscription to Pogo, when I bought a $120 1TB drive.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I could care less about the 50gb, what bothers me is that it's part of the s3 introduction and Verizon is the one making the choice to remove it.

I'm not a fan of online cloud storage anyway, I use a pogoplug with 3 hard drives attached to it and can access any files I have on each of the drives thru the pogoplug app. I can also access my FTP server but that does not allow streaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amdpimp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I got 50gig of BOX. Dropbox can handle folders. BOX does not. Since Dropbox did away with my hack version of HTC sense promo, I was hoping this would make up for it. Very dissapointed over here.

BOX now handles folders very well. I use it almost daily.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think that's what has most people ticked off. .... With the purchase of the S3 you get the 50GB dropbox storage as a perk and who doesn't like perks? Some people don't care per say about 50 gigs....just the fact that Verizon & AtT said no perks for you.

Some people also could care less about cloud storage yet now all of a sudden are ready to leave their carrier because they said you can't have it. If the storage is that important either find other alternatives or pay for it. I mean seriously.....what were you using/doing before this 50gigs became the meaning of life?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helloworld