Verizon Settles on VoLTE for 4G Voice Services

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i guess no1 is sure if tbolt will be able to do this, though i thought to post it so that we learn a little more about vzw and their lte..

V V V V V

Verizon Settles on VoLTE for 4G Voice Services (Phone Scoop)

posted Today, 3:26 PM by Eric M. Zeman
updated Today, 3:33 PM

Speaking to CNN, Verizon Wireless revealed that it has selected Voice-over-LTE to provide voice calling features on devices that use its Long Term Evolution 4G network. It plans to demonstrate the technology at the Mobile World Congress trade show next week. Verizon said that 4G phones will default to VoLTE for voice calls in LTE coverage areas, but will also be capable of making CDMA voice calls when LTE is not available. Call quality, says Verizon, will be comparable to what's available on CDMA. According to Verizon, the LG Revolution, one of the LTE-capable phones announced during CES, will not be the first to offer this feature when it debuts later this year. Verizon didn't say when the feature would debut, nor on what handset.

via phonescoop.com

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
cool!

Verizon Completes First Commercial VoLTE Call
-------------------------------

Verizon Completes First Commercial VoLTE Call (Phone Scoop)

posted Today, 5:49 PM by Eric M. Zeman

Verizon Wireless today announced that it made the first successful voice-over-LTE call using a commercially deployed network. The call was made from its headquarters in Baskin Ridge, N.J., using the LG Revolution, on February 8. Verizon says the first call lasted for 33 seconds, and on subsequent calls participants were able to browse the web and download applications from the Android Market while speaking to one another. Verizon Wireless said that it will spend 2011 working to optimize and enhance the performance of VoLTE. It won't deploy VoLTE commercially until 2012.

via phonescoop.com

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
The thunderbolt wont do this. Which from a tech standpoint is kinda lame.. But in reality, it's not a huge deal, my entire area is blanketted in 4g, so my phone using 3g to talk and 4g for internet will be fine. When I upgrade, which will probably be in 1 year, what ever I get should have VoLTE by then =)

But I did read this yesterday and was super excited that they finally announced that it's "coming"

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I'd rather have Voice over 3G anyway since VoLTE would need you leave your 4G radio turned on all the time, which would turn your battery into a steaming pile of mush rather quickly

Once further battery enhancements are made, I'm all for it though :p

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
true, to be on a call on 3G and data on 4G will not make me complain.

but it is cool to see where it is headed indeed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance