Very Infrequent Active Display Problem

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So I've been able to spend about a week with my new Moto X, and it's bar none the best phone I've ever owned. There is, however, one very minor issue with it. 95% of the time, my phone's "Active Display" function works flawlessly. I'm referring to the feature where you reach for the phone or wave your hand over it to activate the Moto Display. Very rarely, however, the feature does not work. I wave my hand over the screen, pick up the phone, and the screen stays off. When this happens, all I have to do to restore the function is turn the screen on and off by pressing the power button.

Since the issue is so easily repairable, I highly doubt that it's a hardware defect, but rather software related. Has anyone else experienced anything remotely similar with their device? Thanks!

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I'm experiencing that, though I'd say you seem correct on it being software related.
Moto app is great but still needs some minor ironing to make solid.

E.g. Sometimes when in the moto app, I hit the gear at the top right and it sits there thinking for about 5 secs until I get into the settings.

I've also on very few occasions found attentive display to be sleeping and not doing its job. But that was about a month ago and I'd say back to 99% now.

(Still on KitKat)

Have you tried a hard reset

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I'm experiencing that, though I'd say you seem correct on it being software related.
Moto app is great but still needs some minor ironing to make solid.

E.g. Sometimes when in the moto app, I hit the gear at the top right and it sits there thinking for about 5 secs until I get into the settings.

I've also on very few occasions found attentive display to be sleeping and not doing its job. But that was about a month ago and I'd say back to 99% now.

(Still on KitKat)

Have you tried a hard reset

Haven't done a hard reset yet. It's so rare that I don't find it too bothersome yet. If it gets worse in the future, I'm gonna do one .

Posted via the Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I too have yet to see this issue! However Active Display is not a perfect beast either. It likes to turn on at every waking moment possible! Like when I'm at work and I place it on my desk...The littlest light or movement will make it pop on! While I see no battery drain it can just be annoying sometimes. same deal with a car ride if I set it in my center console. But my love for it out does the issues. So I live with it for now. Wish we had more ways to tweak it some. Maybe in a future update? Who knows!

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I too have yet to see this issue! However Active Display is not a perfect beast either. It likes to turn on at every waking moment possible! Like when I'm at work and I place it on my desk...The littlest light or movement will make it pop on! While I see no battery drain it can just be annoying sometimes. same deal with a car ride if I set it in my center console. But my love for it out does the issues. So I live with it for now. Wish we had more ways to tweak it some. Maybe in a future update? Who knows!

I had noticed a few instances where Active Display failed to function, but I had more problems with my Active Display constantly coming on for no reason with no movement. The problem was with a weather app that put the current local temperature in the notification bar. Once I disabled the weather app's feature to display the local temperature in the notification bar, all the constant pulsing of Active display calmed down and I haven't noticed a single time where active display was unresponsive or failed to activate.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else's time change colors sometimes when swiping down active display? It doesn't look like it's supposed to happen but it almost turns a distorted yellow? It doesn't do it 100% of the time, I'd say maybe 30-40% I thought it was a software issue but after receiving lollipop it didn't go away.

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X (2nd Gen)

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else's time change colors sometimes when swiping down active display? It doesn't look like it's supposed to happen but it almost turns a distorted yellow? It doesn't do it 100% of the time, I'd say maybe 30-40% I thought it was a software issue but after receiving lollipop it didn't go away.

Yep
I get that too
It's as if it gets distorted from noise (kinda like TV screen noise) but on a much much lighter scale, and only to the clock (mainly clock area) on the active screen. Yeah kinda yellowish. See it happen sometimes too.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep
I get that too
It's as if it gets distorted from noise (kinda like TV screen noise) but on a much much lighter scale, and only to the clock (mainly clock area) on the active screen. Yeah kinda yellowish. See it happen sometimes too.

Maybe it's to avoid burn in

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's to avoid burn in

Hmm maybe. Glad I'm not the only one cause I haven't seen anyone post about the issue. I always thought there might be something wrong with my screen but that's the only part the screen does that on so it must be software related.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23