Vibrate for Text Messages Gone?

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It seems this is an error that can occur some times (as I've been googling for this and searched forums before I posted).

I've been playing around with my phone trying to decide what I like best, and installing widgets, etc.

Somehow in that process my phone vibrating when recieving a text message got turned off. Now I simply can't turn it back on without turning it on for all text messages. Here's what I mean: I want my phone to make text sounds when my ringer (sidebar or lock screen) is set to sound on, and when set to vibrate I want text messages to give a quick vibe when I receive one.

I've tried going to Settings > Sound. General is set (currently) as Silent Mode checked and Vibrate as Only in Silent Mode.

When I go to text messaging settings vibrate is unchecked. I can manually check it, but then it stays checked and vibrates when I turn the ringer back on. If I turn off vibrate in this area then it doesn't seem to vibrate.

Two potential things I was thinking may have affected this - Beautiful Widgets (I previously had Silent and Vibrate widgets) and/or Juice Defender (I seemed to notice it at the time I had installed (now uninstalled) it, but I'm wondering if its a coincidence.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I'm really hoping this isn't something really dumb that I'm missing. Thanks!

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It was an option on my original Droid, but it isn't an option on the Bionic. I downloaded Handcent just for this reason

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It was an option on my original Droid, but it isn't an option on the Bionic. I downloaded Handcent just for this reason

Really? Was I just that excited during my first few days with the phone that I never noticed this before? That seems insane that there's no vibrate notification for text messages.

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yup, the only way to get it to vibrate for texts is for it to vibrate all the time (even when you have the sound on). They got rid of the option for it to only vibrate when phone was on silent - don't quite understand that.

Reactions: anon(392870)

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Obviously showing my Android n00biness on this one.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm searching for something to fix this with just the stock messaging app otherwise it looks like I well pick up an SMS program.

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Obviously showing my Android n00biness on this one.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm searching for something to fix this with just the stock messaging app otherwise it looks like I well pick up an SMS program.

I spent all launch day looking. Only option is 3rd party App until Moto patches it.

lml Frank lml

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Just replied to say this, I just got my Bionic the other day and it was annoying me that I couldn't customize every little thing like on my Blackberry, but I did find the vibrate feature. If you go into your text message app and you hit the menu button -> Messaging Settings ->Tick the Vibrate checkbox on, it's the last tickbox on the menu all the way at the bottom.

I just found this out so I hope this works for the rest of you, although if I can customize everything and make different custom silent/noisy profiles with this other app you mentioned like I could on my blackberry I might just give it a shot.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just replied to say this, I just got my Bionic the other day and it was annoying me that I couldn't customize every little thing like on my Blackberry, but I did find the vibrate feature. If you go into your text message app and you hit the menu button -> Messaging Settings ->Tick the Vibrate checkbox on, it's the last tickbox on the menu all the way at the bottom.

I just found this out so I hope this works for the rest of you, although if I can customize everything and make different custom silent/noisy profiles with this other app you mentioned like I could on my blackberry I might just give it a shot.

Unfortunately checking the vibrate box makes it vibrate AND make sound when vibrate is turned off.

I've switched to Handcent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrustick71