voice search

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
On my friend's droid he can call somebody by using voice search. Mine just takes me to a google search. For example if I say "call Mike" it opens up a google search with "call mike." But when my friend uses his voice search and says "call mike" it does call. I know the phone has voice dial and that works fine, but I want to know why he can use voice search and I can't?

ptfd13

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
make sure under settings>search>searchable items> and make sure contacts is checked. Not sure if that it the problem but i can call contacts through voice search with that checked.

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
make sure under settings>search>searchable items> and make sure contacts is checked. Not sure if that it the problem but i can call contacts through voice search with that checked.

Once the setting is set as ptfd13 said above, open Google voice search and say "Call CONTACT NAME Mobile" or "Call CONTACT NAME Home". it should dial.

I looked and it was already checked. See the weird thing is I can type the name in the search bar and it does search my contacts, but Voice Search just opens a google search page with what I said.

ptfd13

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
as my phonehasbecomeaware stated try saying Call, CONTACT NAME, mobile. if you just say call CONTACT NAME it just searches be sure to say mobile or home after the contact name

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
as my phonehasbecomeaware stated try saying Call, CONTACT NAME, mobile. if you just say call CONTACT NAME it just searches be sure to say mobile or home after the contact name

Nope still the same lol. I said "call dad mobile" and again google search popped up with results to "call dad mobile" lol, atleast it does accurately recognize what I say just doesn't do what I say.

comprocon

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, but I really thought it used to work.

I've got the contact names and everything checked.

I'm wondering if an app I loaded is in conflict..

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, but I really thought it used to work.

I've got the contact names and everything checked.

I'm wondering if an app I loaded is in conflict..

I was wondering the same thing, what app could it be though that would interfere with it?

Last edited:

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I tried this on 2 different Droids of ppl i know and they also couldn't call from voice search. It brought up a google search of what they said just like mine does. Any other ideas?

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Just started playing with voice search a bit more (Call NAME works for me) and I was a bit disappointed to discover I can't tell my Droid to play tunes.

I was hoping to be able to do things like "Play songs by ArtistName" "Play Songname" and "Shuffle Music"

Apparently I am out of luck for the moment. Voice search won't let you select media or music. Thankfully, you can select YouTube, in case we're driving some time and have an emergency requiring the phone to search or a bulldog on a skateboard, or something.

ericks17

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
For that try using voice dial instead. I haven't tried it with playing music from ur phone but I say "open Pandora" and it works.

caryh#AC

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem and my contacts are synced with my google/gmail contact.

The voice dial app works for the most part but displays a list of all the different matches even though I was specific. So "Call John Doe Mobile" from the voice dial app shows Call John Doe Home, Call John Doe Mobile... and I have to select one.

I've heard the google search is much better but if I engage it by holding the magnifying glass and say "Call John Doe Mobile" and John Doe is a valid contact with a mobile phone, I just get a generic Google Search Web page showing Call John Doe Mobile as the search terms.

Is this a known issue? I've searched multiple forums and seen other people report the problem but no one has verified that it isn't user error or a bug.

Thanks!

caryh#AC

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Found the issue!

Hopefully this will help those that might have the same problem of not being able to Voice Dial using the regular Voice Search (Not the Voice Dialer). I had verified that I was syncing my Contacts with my Google Contacts and it was fairly obvious because I could see all the same Contacts on my Droid. I also verified that my Contacts were "checked" in my searchable items but whenever I would say: "Call John Doe at Mobile" it would just take me to the Google Search browser page searching for: Call John Doe at Mobile. It wouldn't search through the 300+ contacts I had in my Google Contacts.

***The problem is that your individual Contacts in Google Contacts need to be in your "My Contacts" group not just the "All Contacts" group. Once I moved all the contacts into the "My Contacts" group (or the "Friends" or "Family" groups which implicitly put them in the "My Contacts" group), the Voice Dialing through the Voice Search works better that using the Voice Dialer since it dials directly rather than having to select a narrowed down selection list.

I'm so glad I finally got this to work and it makes the voice dialing really worth while.

rip14

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Good find caryh, thanks for the info.

Now if someone could figure out how to make it search for and play the music on the phone, me would love you long time.

Rusted

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Older post, but I am bumping it anyways. It seems to have the key words that I was looking for and I am sure others will too. I searched for days trying to find the answer to this problem and caryh answered it. Maybe this thread will help others as well. Thank you caryh and Android Central!

Hopefully this will help those that might have the same problem of not being able to Voice Dial using the regular Voice Search (Not the Voice Dialer). I had verified that I was syncing my Contacts with my Google Contacts and it was fairly obvious because I could see all the same Contacts on my Droid. I also verified that my Contacts were "checked" in my searchable items but whenever I would say: "Call John Doe at Mobile" it would just take me to the Google Search browser page searching for: Call John Doe at Mobile. It wouldn't search through the 300+ contacts I had in my Google Contacts.

***The problem is that your individual Contacts in Google Contacts need to be in your "My Contacts" group not just the "All Contacts" group. Once I moved all the contacts into the "My Contacts" group (or the "Friends" or "Family" groups which implicitly put them in the "My Contacts" group), the Voice Dialing through the Voice Search works better that using the Voice Dialer since it dials directly rather than having to select a narrowed down selection list.

I'm so glad I finally got this to work and it makes the voice dialing really worth while.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyattling