Volume changing on its own?

atremorer

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I've got some weird issues with volume on my Galaxy S10 that I just cannot figure out.

First of all, the S10 will decrease volume when I am listening to various media apps. It happens using Hulu, Netflix, Google Play Music....
It drops all the way down until the volume is entirely turned off and happens when listening through the speaker or a Bluetooth device.

I really have a feeling that this is due to a third-party app because I had this issue on my last phone, which was an LG G7 ThinQ. This was actually one of the reasons I changed phones. Does anyone know of apps that would do this, or is there a way to track this?

Secondly, the phone will adjust the overall sound settings in the opposite direction. I will set the ringtone, notifications, and system settings to a particular volume and they will jump up to full volume on their own. This happens from any volume as well as a vibrate-only setting. This can be particularly problematic sitting in a meeting. I'm not certain if this could be tied into the same issue as above.

I would appreciate any help you can give because I have not been able to figure this one out. :confused:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like the culprit needs to be something consistent through both your LG G7 ThinQ and your S10... Maybe an app, a Bluetooth device, or something that you still use.

I too recommend booting your phone into Safe Mode and seeing what happens.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I've got some weird issues with volume on my Galaxy S10 that I just cannot figure out.

First of all, the S10 will decrease volume when I am listening to various media apps. It happens using Hulu, Netflix, Google Play Music....
It drops all the way down until the volume is entirely turned off and happens when listening through the speaker or a Bluetooth device.

I really have a feeling that this is due to a third-party app because I had this issue on my last phone, which was an LG G7 ThinQ. This was actually one of the reasons I changed phones. Does anyone know of apps that would do this, or is there a way to track this?

Secondly, the phone will adjust the overall sound settings in the opposite direction. I will set the ringtone, notifications, and system settings to a particular volume and they will jump up to full volume on their own. This happens from any volume as well as a vibrate-only setting. This can be particularly problematic sitting in a meeting. I'm not certain if this could be tied into the same issue as above.

I would appreciate any help you can give because I have not been able to figure this one out. :confused:

Noticed that today in the car listening to YouTube music. Volume would rise for about 5 second's then back to where I set it. Only happens in Bluetooth mode though.
Strange

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
While figuring out if the issue is an app is relatively straight forward, finding the app responsible can be tricky. For something like it gets even stickier since there is no permission for Volume or Speakers.

If your testing reveals that it is an app or if you just want to assume that it is and jump straight in, take a look at the things that can affect your system settings. The easiest way to access this list is by opening settings and using the search bar. Type Change System Settings, you'll find it under Special access. When you open this you'll find a list of apps that can change your settings. Scroll down that list and see if anything pops out at you. You have a lot of clues already, it would be something that you installed, something that you brought from your last device, not a system app and probably not a carrier app, probably. You could disable a handful of suspect apps and use the device normally for awhile and see if there is or isn't a change and work your way down the list.

Not sure why they moved this to this odd location and not with the regular permissions.