Voodoo benchmark numbers - real or smoke?

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
So I've got a sort of "Moore's Law" in effect with my Fascinate lately; every 4-5 days I WILL flash a new ROM to my phone. :) I've been through most everything posted to this point, and I've settled back on the EB01 deodex/debloat.

I hadn't tried Voodoo yet, so yesterday I gave it a shot. Flashed the Voodoo kernel for EB01 using CWM, and then went back in and enabled it on next boot. Went off without a hitch.

I'm not noticing a huge improvement on the device itself, though I haven't had much time to play with it yet. What I did notice, is that my quadrant benchmark score has reached Ludicrous Speed -- clocking in at 1508. Blowing away every other device in the chart. Is this accurate? Or is there something in the hacked kernel that's giving Quadrant false info? I know that benchmarking numbers don't always have much relevance in actual end-user experience, but its interesting that this metric changed so much.

Also, are there any things to try on my Fascinate that show the improved Voodoo speed? Like loading pictures, videos, etc?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Quadrant is overrated. As far as the score, enabling voodoo increases I/O performance but really isn't all that noticeable to the average person.

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The reason quadrent gives such a phenominal (sp?) speed is that becuase of the file system that Voodoo uses. I don't know how much reading you did on Voodoo before flashing it, but it completely reformats the drive in your phone and changes the file system. (I don't remember from what to what but i think the end result is ext3). Because of the new Filesystem it shows tremendous ability for read writes, which is one of the things quad measures. That is not to say you phone on the old can't do it, but it just doesn't work right with what quadrent measures. At least that is my take on it.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Voodoo doesn't make a significant difference on Froyo for this phone at the moment (IMO) because we don't have the kernel source for the dev's to modify. I definitely noticed it on Eclair. It's a subtle difference, certainly not commensurate with the Quadrant improvement, but it was there.

Where you might notice the write speed even on Froyo is for example installing an app, or the media scanner when the phone boots. But overall it's nothing special.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Voodoo doesn't make a significant difference on Froyo for this phone at the moment (IMO) because we don't have the kernel source for the dev's to modify. I definitely noticed it on Eclair. It's a subtle difference, certainly not commensurate with the Quadrant improvement, but it was there.

Where you might notice the write speed even on Froyo is for example installing an app, or the media scanner when the phone boots. But overall it's nothing special.

yeah, its a bit of a let down on froyo because like you said, no source. there is a bit of a speed increase. its not something you notice right away. its the long term performance that i use it for.

sammy went with a filing system called RFS. the standard linux filing system is EXT4. EXT4 is well, just better. info can read/write much faster. thats why you see the higher scores. this is what is refered to as "lag fix".

there are two other major aspects to voodoo, and as yet we dont have them. :'(

1. sound enhancements.

2. display enhancements.

these 3 together are why i like voodoo so much. i leave my screen on 100% and say screw the battery becasue it looks so much better. voodoo is almist like going from sd to hd. when it works. same with the sound.

Reactions: Brettdacosta

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Gunner, Why do we not have the other 2? And what's the "no source" you mentioned? Thanks for being the voodoo king - wouldn't have felt comfortable without it.

And one last question - if I've got voodoo enabled (2.6v), and I want to flash droidxcon's full stock dl01 to ensure a clean state, would I need to boot up after having disabled voodoo in cw before flashing - or does the odin file take that into consideration. To make sure, I have been. Just curious. Thanks again, man.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Gunner, Why do we not have the other 2? And what's the "no source" you mentioned? Thanks for being the voodoo king - wouldn't have felt comfortable without it.

And one last question - if I've got voodoo enabled (2.6v), and I want to flash droidxcon's full stock dl01 to ensure a clean state, would I need to boot up after having disabled voodoo in cw before flashing - or does the odin file take that into consideration. To make sure, I have been. Just curious. Thanks again, man.

1. the source is what the kernel is based on. you could say the kernel is the finished product and the source is all the stuff its made of. in order to make your own kernel you need the stuff to make it. im sure some genius can backwards engineerer it but who wants to do that?

2. the devs need the source to make the other enhancements of voodoo.

3. the DI01 all in one is, well..... all in one. you dont even need to disable lag fix. its a FULL flash straight back to out of the box stock.

4. im glad my how to helped you out. jsut ask if you have any other questions.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed massive improvements in two areas with voodoo. One you don't really notice, the other you dont' care about until you're waiting for it.

1: Media scanner is WAY faster. When you boot your phone fresh and want to listen to music it cuts my boot media scan by about 1/2.

2: TiBu restore. On voodoo my average restore for app + system data takes 30 - 45 minutes. Without voodoo it takes somewhere around 2 hours, or as much as 3 hour on a bad day.

Does it makes your games way faster or anything? No. Moving bulk data on your phone RIPS with voodoo enabled.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed massive improvements in two areas with voodoo. One you don't really notice, the other you dont' care about until you're waiting for it.

1: Media scanner is WAY faster. When you boot your phone fresh and want to listen to music it cuts my boot media scan by about 1/2.

Not doubting that you might be seeing a change, just wondering how this could be attributable to Voodoo, since the media scanner is scanning the SD card, which Voodoo doesn't touch. Voodoo only converts the system and data partitions.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not doubting that you might be seeing a change, just wondering how this could be attributable to Voodoo, since the media scanner is scanning the SD card, which Voodoo doesn't touch. Voodoo only converts the system and data partitions.

I guarantee that the speed increase of TiBu is from voodoo. It's the only thing I've used that could be responsible, and I've seen the time for with and without voodoo. Media scanner could be placebo effect, or it could be able to build the cache list, or media DB type files faster.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I guarantee that the speed increase of TiBu is from voodoo. It's the only thing I've used that could be responsible, and I've seen the time for with and without voodoo. Media scanner could be placebo effect, or it could be able to build the cache list, or media DB type files faster.

That seems reasonable. I would imagine that the Media Scanner is building an index db on the system drive, so it would come into play.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAGNAROK1875