Waiting for price drops

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Rogers in Canada. They had a price drop on the Pixel 2 phones back in June but have since put the prices back up ($779 for the 2XL on a Premium Tab). Still no price drop going into beginning of August, and it looks like only the XL is now available. I would buy direct from Google, but the 2XL 128 GB with warranty is still almost $1500 CAD.

Meanwhile the Samsung S9+ is going for $329 on the Premium Tab and it is a newer phone. I'd consider the Samsung but I like the guarantee of security updates on the Pixel.

In the past, when have the Pixel phones typically been discounted? Do I need to wait until October when the 3 comes out?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could get a used one on eBay, Swappa or any of those sites.
There's a thread about refurbished ones available at Best Buy.

I'm not familiar with the 'Premium Tab' that you refer to but the price for the S9+ seems like a great deal. It'll get OS and Security Updates, just not with the cadence that the Google phones will.

Anyway, I'd think that the best deals have come and gone but perhaps just before the Pixel 3 is officially announced you'll see another price drop as vendors try to clear out their inventory.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You could get a used one on eBay, Swappa or any of those sites.
There's a thread about refurbished ones available at Best Buy.

I'm not familiar with the 'Premium Tab' that you refer to but the price for the S9+ seems like a great deal. It'll get OS and Security Updates, just not with the cadence that the Google phones will.

Anyway, I'd think that the best deals have come and gone but perhaps just before the Pixel 3 is officially announced you'll see another price drop as vendors try to clear out their inventory.

Sounds like the OP is only interested in new, with full warranty prices.

Mattgrossman

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
The premium tab on Rogers is a subsidized price. So there are a few different tiers that you can have your phone subsidized at. Premium tab means the most subsidized and then they go all the way down to buy it outright.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I only want new.
On the Premium Tab I will pay $10 more per month for two years, meaning $240 more factored into the price of the phone.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Rogers in Canada. They had a price drop on the Pixel 2 phones back in June but have since put the prices back up ($779 for the 2XL on a Premium Tab). Still no price drop going into beginning of August, and it looks like only the XL is now available. I would buy direct from Google, but the 2XL 128 GB with warranty is still almost $1500 CAD.

Meanwhile the Samsung S9+ is going for $329 on the Premium Tab and it is a newer phone. I'd consider the Samsung but I like the guarantee of security updates on the Pixel.

In the past, when have the Pixel phones typically been discounted? Do I need to wait until October when the 3 comes out?

If my memory serves correctly, the Pixel was slightly discounted a couple of weeks before the P2 was released. As soon as the Pixel 2 page went live, the Pixel was nowhere to be found.

They want visitors to make the impulse buy and preorder the next version, rather than find a deal on last years flagship. I have no idea what they do with them after launch. Give them to employees to gift to friends and family?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Rogers customer as well. I check the website every so often and they sometimes have "limited time offer" deals on Pixel 2's (but only for direct deposits - like "$0 under a two-year term"); but I haven't really seen anything about deals or sales.

Perhaps Rogers will duel out some deals when the 3 comes out; or, hopefully, even when it's available for pre-order. I'm not too happy with Rogers right now (long story); so I feel like as soon as I can, I'm switching to another carrier.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm in Manitoba and up to now we have enjoyed reasonably priced plans thanks to the competition that was there with MTS, but now that Bell bought out MTS, I see Rogers prices are inching up as well. That being said, my experience with Rogers has been good.
I'll also keep looking at the website and pull the trigger when the price goes back down. I'm not spending over $800 on a subsidized plan.

I'm a Rogers customer as well. I check the website every so often and they sometimes have "limited time offer" deals on Pixel 2's (but only for direct deposits - like "$0 under a two-year term"); but I haven't really seen anything about deals or sales.

Perhaps Rogers will duel out some deals when the 3 comes out; or, hopefully, even when it's available for pre-order. I'm not too happy with Rogers right now (long story); so I feel like as soon as I can, I'm switching to another carrier.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Manitoba and up to now we have enjoyed reasonably priced plans thanks to the competition that was there with MTS, but now that Bell bought out MTS, I see Rogers prices are inching up as well. That being said, my experience with Rogers has been good.
I'll also keep looking at the website and pull the trigger when the price goes back down. I'm not spending over $800 on a subsidized plan.

I definitely know what you mean. Rogers has treated me well overall but recent events - and price increases, of course - have made me decide to switch.

I don't blame you - that's a lot of money to spend on a phone. It was difficult for me to spend $1000+ for a Pixel 2.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Just ordered a Black 2XL 128. $279.00 on the Premium Tab (Rogers). Had to play around with the account and apply the phone to one of my secondary lines to avoid an upcharge on all 3 of the lines. Looking forward to getting it next week!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a Black 2XL 128. $279.00 on the Premium Tab (Rogers). Had to play around with the account and apply the phone to one of my secondary lines to avoid an upcharge on all 3 of the lines. Looking forward to getting it next week!

That is so wonderful! Congratulations, and Happy Phone Week! Let us know when it comes, and how you are liking it! Also, the black Pixel 2 XL is a sight to behold!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
That sounds like a good deal. Enjoy your phone. I love mine!

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
So my Pixel arrived today. Took forever to set it up as it downloaded each security update one by one, then the update to P. So far I am liking it more than I thought i might. I am coming from a BlackBerry and really like what they've done with Android. I will post more later but so far so good.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
So my Pixel arrived today. Took forever to set it up as it downloaded each security update one by one, then the update to P. So far I am liking it more than I thought i might. I am coming from a BlackBerry and really like what they've done with Android. I will post more later but so far so good.
At least you know that phone is as up to date as any android phone is. Lol. Enjoy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao