waiting for Thunderbolt my Storm is dying - what to do?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

My Storm 1 is really starting to act up. I've had to reboot 2x this morn and the screen is locking up OFTEN. I'm *trying* to wait out the Thunderbolt. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just have to hope mine holds out until TB finally arrives for us? Since we really don't have a firm release date, I really don't want to buy a different phone and hope to exchange it within 2 weeks just in case there's another delay in TB's release past the 24th tentative release. I can't be w/o a phone so that's not an option. I'm also not keen on having to go thru the trouble of switching phones 2x vs once.

Thanks,
Deb

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest waiting and hopefully it'll be in on the 24th. I'd also try deleting rarely used apps and reinstalling the latest official OS release. Hopefully that'll get you by until you can pick up a TBolt.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
dont even get me started on my storm1.

just hold on with us. we're all in same boat.

many better phones than storm already out, but me, i'm waiting.

amazing how many of us storm users are waiting to let it retire already, 24 months is enough for me.

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Just go to BB and pick up a phone off contract. You have 30 days to return it there.

EDIT: Bought a few off contract phones from BB before. I'm in CA too. You have 30 days full refund.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
We actually have our company Verizon rep at the office today to take questions and without me even asking he said the Thunderbolt release date is scheduled for the 24th.

He also said that they were wanting to have the Bionic and the Thunderbolt release at around the same time but it is actually the Bionic that has been pushed back because of issues.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm in WI. I just tried to do an update and it won't even do that. Ugh. Gonna try deleting unused apps, maybe that will help. Can't hurt to try. Gimp gimp gimp ...

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in WI. I just tried to do an update and it won't even do that. Ugh. Gonna try deleting unused apps, maybe that will help. Can't hurt to try. Gimp gimp gimp ...

That's what I had to do. I literally got rid of all but 5 apps (Word to Go, Facebook, MemoryBooster, WordMole, and BrickBreaker). It did help somewhat, however I still can't get over 20MB of free app memory.

juskrs51

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's a good option.

Hi there,

My Storm 1 is really starting to act up. I've had to reboot 2x this morn and the screen is locking up OFTEN. I'm *trying* to wait out the Thunderbolt. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just have to hope mine holds out until TB finally arrives for us? Since we really don't have a firm release date, I really don't want to buy a different phone and hope to exchange it within 2 weeks just in case there's another delay in TB's release past the 24th tentative release. I can't be w/o a phone so that's not an option. I'm also not keen on having to go thru the trouble of switching phones 2x vs once.

Thanks,
Deb

Go to Bestbuy and tell them your situation. They will most likely let you purchase a lower quality smartphone, say LG Vortex or something, then give you the 30 day window to return it and get the Thunderbolt.

I did that yesterday. I dropped my BB Tour on Thursday the 10th. My upgrade date was Saturday the 12th. Yesterday I go to BestBuy acting ignorant to the Thunderbolt Date, and say I'm ready to upgrade cause of what happened to my BB Tour. They say, ah shoot man, TBolt isn't here till the 24th. I said well damn man, my phone doesn't work, what can we do.

We looked thru all my options and this is what I did:

Had the BestBuy salesman get his manager

We talked it thru, told them i preordered Tbolt, its not here, my Blackberry is sh*t right now.

He said, you have 30 days to return a phone, I said ok. I want to purchase the Droid X, then return it when the TBolt comes in. He said that works with us, but we want you to purchase BestBuy's BlackTie Protection. I said Deal. I purchased the Droid X because it was the 2nd option in my mind if the TBolt doesn't launch for some dumb VZW reason.

The salesman wrote down everything, signed it, I kid you not (thats just the good nature of People in Nebraska).

I walked out with a Droid X for 163$ (used my 50$ giftcard from preorder), will return it when ever this TBolt is available as long as its with in 30 days.

Some people will work with you, I'm fortunate to live in the Midwest where people all get along.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, the first time I'd be able to get to BB would be next week and that's iffy. It's like 30-40mi from here and w/my work schedule and sick folks I just can't get there. Since it looks like the 24th is release date, I guess I'll just keep deleting apps and try to gimp it by. I could also call VZW tech support ... awhile back the phone was doing pretty much the same thing and this tech walked me through a "clean up" process that made a nice difference. I just can't remember what it all entailed - should have made notes. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. If it dies completely before then I guess I'll have to find a way to get a temp phone at that point.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i myself am on .328 (the last official)

i've had the same storm1 for the whole 24 month period. i've had 2 JVM Errors (at different times, #517 & #528) that caused the "white screen of death", deleting my whole phone and both times this was done when my phone was on my nightstand, while i was sleeping and when it wasnt in use.
luckily i backup every 3 weeks and had backups to load, though the inconvenience is upsetting. due to getting those errors, i told myself i'm taking everything off that could be causing a mem leak or a mb hogger (not that i had many things at all). i'm not a gamer, and i dont have a collection of themes etc.

here are all my current apps:
be droid theme (won it from crackberry.com), getting used to the android look
gmail app
google maps
google sync
screenlock
bb msngr
memo pad
password keeper
tasks

No docs to go, no brickbreaker, no wordmole, no poynt, nothing, but just enough to let me slide by until tbolt comes along (Whenever that may be - thanks verizon!)

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Only two reboots today? That's a GOOD Storm1. :) When it reaches the point where it reboots everytime you set it down or stand up with it in your pocket (like my first 6 did) -- then you might want to look at your options. ;)

Nitros7

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Seems like there are a few of us that are BB Storm users waiting for this phone... So I am starting a support group.

As for uninstalling apps... yeah gona help a bit but I have noticed a little quirk with BB's after uninstalling you never quite get back the app memory that app used. So in a sense your still out memory and it doesn't speed up the phone much. Way around this and its a pain in the butt is to do a back up and wipe the phone clean (get the latest version of the OS on your PC and use the BB swiss army knife). Its a hour or two wroth of work but the phone will work like its brand new.

As for me I am waiding though this last week then I will pawn this phone off on the first sucker on ebay I can. If I get $5 dollars off of it I took that chump to the cleaners (I really do hate this phone).

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
yes, thanks to some helpfull folks at crackberry.com forums i found out how to wipe, shrink, load etc to the storm.

what i dont understand is, how did RIM think that the average user, the 90-95% of users, how did RIM think they could do this?
average user is going to go back to vzw store and say the phone is screwed up etc.
did RIM really think the average user would know how to wipe and reload the OS?
disappointing.

kramerica5

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah a wipe / shrink / load should at least get the phone back to a usable state. RIM really dropped the ball with the storm. Could be the turning point for the company