Walmart Blocking Samsung Pay For Good!

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I had the worst experience ever at Walmart. When I buy stuff I always use my Samsung Pay as my payment method. I've bought things lots of times using Samsung Pay at Walmart. Recently I read several articles that Walmart is forcing people to use their Walmart Pay app and blocking people from using Samsung Pay as well as Android Pay and Apple Pay. I didn't believe this at first because like I said I have bought many things using Samsung Pay at Walmart. Until now.... When I went to buy my stuff supposedly it wouldn't go through even when typing as credit. I tried it again and it still wouldn't go through. Yet my Samsung Pay sent two messages of the transactions. Thinking I was double charged Walmart wouldn't do anything about this and said to call the bank. They said that they don't accept other forms of payment other then Walmart Pay. This is a total lie, they can accept Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and Apple Pay. They just refuse to and are blocking people from using them. Walmart you as a company can't block people from using a certain method of paying for things. What's next? Are you going to block people from using checks as well? I have never heard of such a thing and it's illegal to force people to pay using only your app! I have been a loyal customer from the early days and have never had a bad experience till now. I'm shocked this even happened. The bank said to keep checking my account. I hope it's fine. It's just the over all experience of not being able to use Samsung Pay anymore is insane! Everyone learn from this lesson as I had to learn it the hard way... As of this writing Walmart is the only company blocking people from using the other Pay apps...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
They said that they don't accept other forms of payment other then Walmart Pay. This is a total lie, they can accept Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and Apple Pay.

Walmart never did, and still does not, accept Android Pay and Apple Pay. They do not have terminals with NFC.

As far as using Samsung Pay at Walmart, I've found it to be highly dependent on the credit card used. Some of my credit cards in Samsung Pay have a hard time going through at Walmart, while others go right through successfully. If you have more than one card, try a different one.

I use Samsung Pay everywhere. Walmart, gas pumps, McDonald's, airport stores, vending machines, you name it.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
used SP just a couple mornings ago. used my debit card as a credit and it didn't work. tried again as a debit transaction and it worked

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Walmart you as a company can't block people from using a certain method of paying for things. What's next? Are you going to block people from using checks as well?

Actually, yes they can. And lots of businesses do not accept checks, while others don't accept any credit cards.

Thomas Smith15

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
I had the worst experience ever at Walmart. When I buy stuff I always use my Samsung Pay as my payment method. I've bought things lots of times using Samsung Pay at Walmart. Recently I read several articles that Walmart is forcing people to use their Walmart Pay app and blocking people from using Samsung Pay as well as Android Pay and Apple Pay. I didn't believe this at first because like I said I have bought many things using Samsung Pay at Walmart. Until now.... When I went to buy my stuff supposedly it wouldn't go through even when typing as credit. I tried it again and it still wouldn't go through. Yet my Samsung Pay sent two messages of the transactions. Thinking I was double charged Walmart wouldn't do anything about this and said to call the bank. They said that they don't accept other forms of payment other then Walmart Pay. This is a total lie, they can accept Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and Apple Pay. They just refuse to and are blocking people from using them. Walmart you as a company can't block people from using a certain method of paying for things. What's next? Are you going to block people from using checks as well? I have never heard of such a thing and it's illegal to force people to pay using only your app! I have been a loyal customer from the early days and have never had a bad experience till now. I'm shocked this even happened. The bank said to keep checking my account. I hope it's fine. It's just the over all experience of not being able to use Samsung Pay anymore is insane! Everyone learn from this lesson as I had to learn it the hard way... As of this writing Walmart is the only company blocking people from using the other Pay apps...

um, it's not really illegal. Any business can decide what methods of payment they accept. And, yes, if they so choose, they could also refuse to accept checks. Many businesses do not accept checks. It's not like they are 'forcing' you to only use their app. You still have many other options... debit and credit cards, and yes, cash.

DrkMith

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Samsung pay does not need NFC there is nothing a retailer needs to do to accept Samsung pay besides having a credit card terminal that accepts magstripe credit cards.

Wal-Mart bas gone out of this way to block Samsung pay.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Walmart never did, and still does not, accept Android Pay and Apple Pay. They do not have terminals with NFC.

As far as using Samsung Pay at Walmart, I've found it to be highly dependent on the credit card used. Some of my credit cards in Samsung Pay have a hard time going through at Walmart, while others go right through successfully. If you have more than one card, try a different one.

I use Samsung Pay everywhere. Walmart, gas pumps, McDonald's, airport stores, vending machines, you name it.

How do you use it at gas pumps? I thought it doesn't work when you have to put your card into the reader.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
How do you use it at gas pumps? I thought it doesn't work when you have to put your card into the reader.

You put in a dummy card, pull it out, and quickly hold your phone in front of the reader. I insert my store rewards card anyway for the discount, then I turn it upside down so the magnetic stripe is away from the reader and insert it again. I pull it out and quickly put my phone up to the reader.

Sometime if my wife or someone else with another phone is with me, I'll try to remember to video the process.