Want a Bionic...but the camera complaints worry me

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Right now I have a crapberry curve and have waited to upgrade to the Bionic since March. But now that it's out the complaints about the camera (and battery life) concern me. But more so the camera. The camera absolutely sucks on my bberry, so I really want to get something with a good camera that will take pictures in low light and of my kids, etc. Right now, I've hesitated to jump and get the Bionic because of the camera complaints (or are they blown out of proportion).

As an alternative to Bionic, I have been contemplating getting the Inc2 but really wanted 4G because it's all around me (work and home). (I don't think I can take this bberry much longer).

Do the camera apps mentioned here (Vignette, etc) really improve the camera? I guess at this point I can wait for the next phone, especially if the camera should/will be better. My husband has a OG and the pictures seem to be okay on it - - is the Bionic camera better/worse/same compared to the OG camera.

Blaksmyth

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I believe the camera is way better then the OG droid, best bet is to go to a verizon store and try it for yourself some peoples reviews are really unfair and they are already waiting for the next "big thing." I enjoy the phone, nice upgrade from my dying droid x. Check out the camera pics thread for the bionic to see some great photos, that may help your decision.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The camera is Ok, only thing that it's bad at focusing. If you're in a car moving or something, it can take 15 seconds to take the picture. this might be fixed in a software update (maybe?)

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Well that's good to hear because I thought the pix on my husband's OG were pretty good. Although anything was better than my bberry. I will also have to test how quickly it takes pictures too cuz that's a big factor. I really wish that I could have the iphone camera on the droid phone. Will go back to store and check out.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
"a good camera that will take pictures in low light and of my kids".

Aint gonna happen with any cell camera that I am aware of.... you need a "fast" lens for good low light photography. Cell cameras can compensate by jacking up the ISO, but this introduces noise which puts you back at square one IMO.

The iPhone 4 arguably has the best camera out there still in my opinion, with others a close 2nd. My iPhone took great pictures with good light... not good in low light.

If you want good low-light photography, get a camera that can handle it.. there are some P&S cameras out there with 2.0f or 1.8f apertures that wont bust your budget like a DLSR with a fast prime or even more expensive fast zoom.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The BIonic camera is ok. Its not the best. Ive been telling people in regard to the camera, If the camera is Top priority or if you take a ton of pictures you may want to wait. Biggest problem i had coming from my OG was the lack of an actual button. I didnt like not having it. Onscreen is ok, but a button is still better. This is where alot of phones are going though so i wouldnt consider it a deal breaker.

Also the auto focus was extremely touchy. Pictures were not always clear. I only took maybe 30 photos while i had the Bionic but when they came out well, quality seemed to be good. I did not use any programs to improve this though.

If you will be using it for mainly personal pictures i would still try the phone. Its an excellent overall 4g phone, and if thats something you want this is your best option as of right now. As far as waiting, thats completely up to you. Something better is always coming.

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm probably going to wait just because I don't have the $$ right now for the phone for a couple weeks. You guys were a great help!

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Probably a good decision. There are a lot of phones in the pipeline for the next 2 months, Im guessing something will peak your interest. If nothing does, the Bionic will probably be cheaper and updated by then.. Win - Win.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The camera's not great (though its WAY better than my Tour's old camera).

As everyone mentioned, auto-focus can be the most annoying thing. The more I've worked with it the better I've gotten at it. But if you're looking for quick pictures of your kids this could be an issue. I'd play with it in the store and see.

In fact, I've gotten some nice pictures recently. All cell phone cameras aren't great in low light (despite LED flashes) but this one is manageable.

I've toyed around with Vignette in demo mode and like and have considered investing, but haven't decided for sure. I'll pass on more if I do purchase.

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Pssht. Whatevs. I take great pics with the Bionic camera. If you know how to work the settings, and you keep your lens clean, you can take great pics too.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Camera is NOT that bad.....FOR A PHONE.....The bionic is a great phone to have, very powerful fast and does what you need it to do.

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Rolled eyes. Just buy a damn camera if u want a camera. I didnt buy my Bionic for the camera. I bought it for the box it came in so I can play with it.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC uses the worst camera sensors on the market. The true test of camera quality is to export the pictures taken into other devices. WIth the HTC devices I have tried, the pictures come out grainy and very low quality. Not to mention the video recording looked and sounded like it came out of a $2 camera. Remember that the device's screen can make the picture look better than it actually is.

The Bionic's camera takes great looking shots for a phone. Second only to Samsung's Galaxy Series and iPhone, which are the two best cameras on phones I have ever tried. The problem with the Bionic's camera is the focus. You can't tap to focus, and that wouldn't be a problem if the camera actually focused quickly. Unfortunately, it does not. It waits, and waits. In reality, it's about 3-4 seconds of waiting for the focus, which in camera time, is years. If you are worried about the quality, don't be. The pictures come out great.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Pssht. Whatevs. I take great pics with the Bionic camera. If you know how to work the settings, and you keep your lens clean, you can take great pics too.

I couldn't agree more...I took some fantastic shots at the baseball game; the lens seems to get smudged very easy so make sure you clean it good...all the difference in the world. It does focus slow and on Moto's Support Forum, they claim the camera will work better after the OTA upgrade.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am an idiot. I took all. The negative camera remarks here (mostly by trolls that never used a bionic) and assumed the camera was sub par. I am so wrong, pics are gorgeous and it is fast. I mean one right after another, click click click within one second on manual. I can actually leave my point and shoot behind. I am not joking.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am an idiot. I took all. The negative camera remarks here (mostly by trolls that never used a bionic) and assumed the camera was sub par. I am so wrong, pics are gorgeous and it is fast. I mean one right after another, click click click within one second on manual. I can actually leave my point and shoot behind. I am not joking.

Glad to hear that...I too read some bad reports about the camera (but that wasn't going to stop me from getting it), but I have found it to be very adequate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novigator