want even MORE storage? Try this

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're like me and you always have your phone with you, here's something I found works great for special occasions. I've currently on my 3rd Nexus 7 due to what I guess was a bad batch or something on the first two. During my exchanges/refunds I decided to downgrade from 32GB to 16GB because my former tablet was also a 16GB and I ended up having anywhere from 5-10GB of unused storage on it all the time. (of course others usage will differ, but this thread isn't about that). The only thing I found taking up any noticeable space was movies. There was only one occurrence during the 18 months I owned my last tab that I thought a few extra movies would be handy but I felt having that space only used for 7 days out of ~550 was a waste for me. For me it's a very rare occurrence. So I came up with this - if you're like me, and will always have your phone with you anyway, you can toss all your extra vids for those special occasions on it. The app WiFi File Explorer allows you to directly stream movies that are on your phone to your tablet's movie player of choice. No need for a data connection. That's right, no need for a data connection at all so you can do this anywhere you don't have service or WiFi available. Simply turn on your mobile hotspot, fire up the app, and then you're good to go. Takes about 10 seconds. The real beauty of this is that those of you rocking 64GB or more of storage on your phones can now carry some serious video. Like 10GB quality BluRay rips!

I've recently switched from my usual 2GB HD movies because I found that even the ones available from official sources like Play (or iTunes) are actually compressed with lower quality than an actual pure BluRay movies, and don't use as high an audio standard either, so now I'm venturing into rebuilding my digital movies into a BluRay collection. Next time I need to do this, I'm going to load up my tablet, my phone, and my wife's phone SD card with these bad boys ;)

Of course if you're really into a massive number of BR rips, an even bigger solution would be one of those 1TB wifi hard drives. I chose this method because for those extremely rare occurrences it's all I'd need and will already have my phone with me anyway.

update: Here's another great new option I'm considering supporting

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you would know this, but is it setting up a widi network to stream from your phone?

I just tested this out yesterday, all you need to do is turn on your phone's mobile hotspot, start up the above linked app, and then connect your tablet to your phone's hotspot. It will work even if your cellular mobile data signal is turned off. You don't need an outside internet connection at all for it to work. Think of it as bluetooth, but using wifi instead (which is faster anyway)

The way the app works is you open up the IP address the app provides you in your tablet's browser and it opens up a file explorer interface. All you need to do is click the streaming icon and it will open up your tablet's movie player of choice and start playing your movie

hiwayracer

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
If you're like me and you always have your phone with you, here's something I found works great for special occasions. I've currently on my 3rd Nexus 7 due to what I guess was a bad batch or something on the first two. During my exchanges/refunds I decided to downgrade from 32GB to 16GB because my former tablet was also a 16GB and I ended up having anywhere from 5-10GB of unused storage on it all the time. (of course others usage will differ, but this thread isn't about that). The only thing I found taking up any noticeable space was movies. There was only one occurrence during the 18 months I owned my last tab that I thought a few extra movies would be handy but I felt having that space only used for 7 days out of ~550 was a waste for me. For me it's a very rare occurrence. So I came up with this - if you're like me, and will always have your phone with you anyway, you can toss all your extra vids for those special occasions on it. The app WiFi File Explorer allows you to directly stream movies that are on your phone to your tablet's movie player of choice. No need for a data connection. That's right, no need for a data connection at all so you can do this anywhere you don't have service or WiFi available. Simply turn on your mobile hotspot, fire up the app, and then you're good to go. Takes about 10 seconds. The real beauty of this is that those of you rocking 64GB or more of storage on your phones can now carry some serious video. Like 10GB quality BluRay rips!

I've recently switched from my usual 2GB HD movies because I found that even the ones available from official sources like Play (or iTunes) are actually compressed with lower quality than an actual pure BluRay movies, and don't use as high an audio standard either, so now I'm venturing into rebuilding my digital movies into a BluRay collection. Next time I need to do this, I'm going to load up my tablet, my phone, and my wife's phone SD card with these bad boys ;)

Of course if you're really into a massive number of BR rips, an even bigger solution would be one of those 1TB wifi hard drives. I chose this method because for those extremely rare occurrences it's all I'd need and will already have my phone with me anyway.

Best solution to any space limitation is a portable wifi hdd such as this one:
Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

omg thank you so much! I already own a couple of 64GB sd cards so something this small packing so much extra storage for $14 with shipping is awesome! I'm ordering one today, the 2013 N7 is on the list of compatible devices. If it turns out to be a dud project I'm willing to risk eating it at such a low price. How to you check to verify if these kickstarter projects are legit though? It's the credit card purchasing that concerns me. Anyone know?

Updating the OP with this suggestion. The others are good as well, but this seems to have the best overall combination of portability, compatibility, capacity and price.

As per their website N7 owners should be aware of this clause:
supported using 3rd party software such Media Importer from Play Store, with some limitations; root device and install 3rd party software such as StickMount or USB OTG Helper to remove such limitations
I checked Nexus Media Importer and apparently it's back to supporting this device without requiring root (evidently there were some problems when the new N7 was first released but these seem to have been fixed)

Last edited:

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Meenova.com - This looks quite interesting to me, just to make sure if I understand this correctly ---

• This is a Micro SD card reader connects to Micro USB port of Nexus 7 (2013)
  • We can place any SD card in this card reader with contents such as ? Movies, Pictures, PDF files etc?
  • We just have to connect this card reader to Nexus 7 (2013) and we are good to access Movies, Pictures, PDF files etc? on SD card? Do we need any additional app on Nexus 7 (2013)?
  • And since this card reader is of micro USB format, how do we connect to laptop, so that we can copy Movies, Pictures, PDF files etc? We got to use standard USB card reader for this, is that correct?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Meenova.com - This looks quite interesting to me, just to make sure if I understand this correctly ---

• This is a Micro SD card reader connects to Micro USB port of Nexus 7 (2013)
  • We can place any SD card in this card reader with contents such as ? Movies, Pictures, PDF files etc?
  • We just have to connect this card reader to Nexus 7 (2013) and we are good to access Movies, Pictures, PDF files etc? on SD card? Do we need any additional app on Nexus 7 (2013)?
  • And since this card reader is of micro USB format, how do we connect to laptop, so that we can copy Movies, Pictures, PDF files etc? We got to use standard USB card reader for this, is that correct?

You have to be rooted for this.

"Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7 (2012 Original & 2013 New) & Nexus 10; requires third-party software or device being rooted."

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
You have to be rooted for this.

"Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7 (2012 Original & 2013 New) & Nexus 10; requires third-party software or device being rooted."

No you don't. It's an 'and/or' not an 'and'. The rooting is required for the devices which don't support USB otg, not the n7 which does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If nexus media importer doesn't require rooting for use with an otg cable and a flash drive, why would this need rooting. I can run avi mp4 mkv files directly from the flash drive flawlessly using a media app using the micro USB otg cable.

It says device rooted OR third party software. The Nexus media importer is that third party software.

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
No you don't. It's an 'and/or' not an 'and'. The rooting is required for the devices which don't support USB otg, not the n7 which does.

So what I have noted is correct? And do I need any additional app?

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Just received a shipping notification on my order of 2 of these units today. Looking forward to using them instead of my otg card reader.

Android_1234

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately my phone only has 1.78 GB of total memory and only 400mb of free space.

An OTG cable, flash drive and the Nexus Media Importer app does it pretty well for me.

NMI can not connect to my USB. I just get stuck at a litle popup that says connecting to USB.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberprettyfashiongirl95