Was going to get the 22 Ultra (VZW)

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
While I have grown to dislike VZW, I still don't have the guts to jump ship and go to ATT...I was going to speak with the head of my IT department, discuss the proper process to get the 22 Ultra up and running with our corporate Intune etc. software, set up, etc. -- and that was that. However, all of the IT people are saying the 23 Ultra simply outperforms the 22 Ultra. Sure, it does in ways that won't help me, LOL, but they are all saying the 23 -- with this new chip, processor or whatever -- is top notch and operates much better than the 22.

Anyone hearing the same thing? I just wonder if the 23 will be a "recommended" device by my home office. I had a problem with the 22 and had to return it, but after I did, the head of IT said they can get it up up and running. I really hate getting a new device, LOL. Are people sticking with the 22, getting them because of good deals, or what? Thanks in advance!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The s23u is going be marginally better I didn't get a good deal but I missed my s22u when I traded that for the Flip4 so that's the only reason I'm jumping to the s23u

1raygin

Jun 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm sticking with my S22+ partially because it is a great phone, but also because I don't upgrade every year. Never have and never will. My cycle is to upgrade every 2 1/2 - 3 years.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with my S22+ partially because it is a great phone, but also because I don't upgrade every year. Never have and never will. My cycle is to upgrade every 2 1/2 - 3 years.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
You're upgrade cycle is exactly where the carrier trade INS are a benefit for.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That's how I got my S22+ from AT&T last year. I got a $800.00 credit for an S7+ that was a backup to an S10+, which I still have.
A lot like to claim the carrier high trade in credits is a catch or it's a scam. They are not, it's actually a cheap way for people to get a $1,200 phone cheap. A lot of us on here upgrade every year and obviously the carrier credit trade in amounts are a bad thing for that scenario. We forget that the mass population upgrade 2 or more years and for them you can't beat paying interest free $200 for the S23U, or pay nothing for the S23. So if you don't bounce carrier to carrier or you upgrade 2+ years the carrier high trade in credits is a good deal.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Once upon a time, you signed a 2 year contract and got a discounted phone. I liked that system because I was not going to leave Verizon anyway. I can't tell you how many times I broke a phone, went to the store, signed another 2 year contract and got a discounted phone ( in the days before smart phones).

But people didn't like the contracts, so they got rid of them and figured out how to lock you in with these bill credits instead.
Now that it is 36 months, you are essentially locked in to the carrier AND the phone for 3 years.
That may work for a lot of people, but I personally want to upgrade yearly - so it is a no-go for me.
I've been with Verizon for 23 years, so I'm not going anywhere. Maybe they should figure out a new deal for long-term loyal customers that doesn't treat us like we are jumping carriers every week.
I'll wait to see if Samsung ups the trade-in values later, or maybe see what they offer to trade toward the Fold 5.
It's a little painful on the Samsung side too because I have had Samsungs since the original Galaxy S (the Fascibate on VZW). But maybe this is the year to try out the Google Pixel.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Once upon a time, you signed a 2 year contract and got a discounted phone. I liked that system because I was not going to leave Verizon anyway. I can't tell you how many times I broke a phone, went to the store, signed another 2 year contract and got a discounted phone ( in the days before smart phones).

But people didn't like the contracts, so they got rid of them and figured out how to lock you in with these bill credits instead.
Now that it is 36 months, you are essentially locked in to the carrier AND the phone for 3 years.
That may work for a lot of people, but I personally want to upgrade yearly - so it is a no-go for me.
I've been with Verizon for 23 years, so I'm not going anywhere. Maybe they should figure out a new deal for long-term loyal customers that doesn't treat us like we are jumping carriers every week.
I'll wait to see if Samsung ups the trade-in values later, or maybe see what they offer to trade toward the Fold 5.
It's a little painful on the Samsung side too because I have had Samsungs since the original Galaxy S (the Fascibate on VZW). But maybe this is the year to try out the Google Pixel.

You remember you could do 1 year contacts with Verizon.

The high trade in credits is similar as the contact. I do remember sometimes you could sweet talk the rep into early upgrades though.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Way back, you could just walk in and sign another 2 years. I had a phone that fell in water, and they wouldn't do the new 2 years. I think that was around 2004. They told me that without insurance they couldn't help me. That's when I started carrying the insurance...

Before that, it didn't make sense to me since you could literally just sign another 2 years, get a phone and move on.

Ah, the food old days...

Anyway, for those who want to upgrade every 3 years, the bill credits are a great deal. I can see why people would go for it. It's just not going to work for me. At 24 months, I would consider it. But I just like getting a shiny new device regularly too much.

x1sspic

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with my S22 Ultra. I'm disappointed in the trade-in offers, which was the reason that I went from my S21 Ultra to 22 Ultra. Verizon offers a decent discount, but you can only get the 512gb version. I prefer to go the unlocked route, since I get the 1tb versions and like something other than black (I still miss the phantom brown color from the S21 Ultra), and also doesn't have a carrier commitment/payment. I have been watching all the youtube videos that I can find comparing cameras (my main use of a phone)), and none of them show anything convincing enough to make the cost worth it for me. I take lots of pictures of my 2 and 5 year olds, so the lack of improvement in the shutter lag going from 22 to 23 stuck out to me. In most of the youtube videos, they also comment on how much better it feels in the hand compared to the S22 Ultra. I stopped at Best Buy to check out the demo unit (I keep trying to convince myself to upgrade, lol), and there was absolutely nothing about it that struck me as a 'gotta have' reason to upgrade. Personally, I like the feel of the naked S22 Ultra in my hand over the way the S23 Ultra felt: my reason for this is that the edges feel nice and rounded/smooth on the 22, while on the 23, the frame sandwiched between the glass slabs was more noticeably raised - at least from a tactile perspective.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aDAMANT007