Was it worth it porting my popular Windows Phone space shooter to Android?

b3nk4n

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi there!

I spent the last few weeks to finally port a few of my past Windows Phone projects to Android. One of them is SpaceScribble, a game that was once reviewed by WindowsCentral in 2014.
It had about 250k downloads in its first year in the Windows Phone store and received a 4.6 ★ rating based on more than 2k user reviews.

SpaceScribble is a free Windows Phone [and Android] game where you take command of a space ship to battle enemy vessels and dodge a rather aggressive asteroid field.

While the doodled graphics are absent of color, they are well done. The doodle-styled space ships flying across graph paper has a certain level of appeal and helps set the game apart. Game game play is rather challenging, somewhat addictive and has a nice pace. All totaled, SpaceScribble is an attractive gaming option for both Windows Phone 8 and 7.x [and Android] devices.
(source: WindowsCentral)

73KE8YZcKFrB8efxRAG87f-1200-80.jpg.webp

I would be looking forward to get some feedback here in this forum, whether it was worth the time porting this game. In case you are curious, I used MonoGame to port it to Android.
Is this game still fun to you in 2024?

The main reason I'm asking is because I've a bunch of other games that I implemented during my studies floating around. But before I invest the time porting all of them, I would like get some input from the field whether it's even worth my time. Or whether I should instead focus on brand new game ideas.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your feedback about SpaceScribble for Android!