water resistance and washing machine

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Everybody complains about the lack of standard but my son put it through the washing machine and it works just fine!

Matter of fact, it never turned off. I got it out, dried it off and headed off to football registration. Overall, I never cared anyways. I've had similar experience with phones going back to 2001. I had a Samsung flip phone that was left out in the rain after a car accident. Worked fine. I think everybody just wants a guarantee these days. I don't get it

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just told you... My son loaded the washing machine. He's 5 and decided to grab my shorts on the bed. My keys were in there too.

I'm very confident it would have dried out and been just fine worst case scenario. These things happen when you're teaching kids. Can't be upset for him having initiative.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
And now your phone smells laundry fresh too!

I'm actually surprised it survived. Washing machine is heavy duty water and with all that tossing around. Good stuff!

dpeters11

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I just told you... My son loaded the washing machine. He's 5 and decided to grab my shorts on the bed. My keys were in there too.

I'm very confident it would have dried out and been just fine worst case scenario. These things happen when you're teaching kids. Can't be upset for him having initiative.

True, teaching him to empty the pockets is a lot easier than teaching how to read the washing instructions. Heck, that's hard for adults.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Everybody complains about the lack of standard but my son put it through the washing machine and it works just fine!

Matter of fact, it never turned off. I got it out, dried it off and headed off to football registration. Overall, I never cared anyways. I've had similar experience with phones going back to 2001. I had a Samsung flip phone that was left out in the rain after a car accident. Worked fine. I think everybody just wants a guarantee these days. I don't get it

Wow! Thats awesome to hear. Maybe you were just lucky. could have ended much worse. I think the Pixel is in a similar position to the iPhone 6s. Apple doesn't specifically state water resistance but if you look at online tests, it seems to hold up fairly well :)

Guarantees are nice. haha

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
glad the pixel works fine. I want google to have IP68 not because i want them but because that will stop people from complaining about it.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Even the "waterproof" phones don't give you a guarantee for water damage (I'm looking at you Apple!!). Good to hear your experience ended up as a positive.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The IP Rating on a device just means that it's guaranteed that the seals will hold up to a certain point. In my opinion, you got lucky your phone didn't get damaged (and I'm still not sure that it didn't... water might still be in there, ready to rust away terminals and contacts long-term). While most designs, especially if there are no removable parts to worry about, are somewhat spill-resistant, only if they're certified can they guarantee the protection. The washing machine, if turned on, puts additional pressure on the seals, and if you read the IP standard, something like a Samsung Galaxy S7 is only guaranteed to sustain the seal up to a certain pressure point and time.

Just like you got lucky this time, I've seen others have theirs completely fail after a quick dunk in a tub/pool, a phone that got 'a little rain', etc. And then there are phones that survive everything even though, on paper, they shouldn't.