Weather Resistance?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
We all know that Life proof or any other company for that matter makes a weatherproof case for the 6P. Over all though, as a phone, how weather resistant is it? If I'm ever having to use Google maps, or texting, or anything else in the rain for a few minutes, would that be disastrous for the 6P? Thanks for the help.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Defiantly an on target question. With all these devices there has to be ways to help those of us who aren't so nimble fingered and tend to drop stuff even in water. My camera (FujiFilm XP60) is waterprooft, shockproof etc.. and the reason I have/use the FujiFilm camera?.. Because with nerve damage I tend to drop stuff.. so why aren't our smart phones.. It makes one wonder.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Defiantly an on target question. With all these devices there has to be ways to help those of us who aren't so nimble fingered and tend to drop stuff even in water. My camera (FujiFilm XP60) is waterproof, shockproof etc.. and the reason I have/use the FujiFilm camera?.. Because with nerve damage I tend to drop stuff.. so why aren't our smart phones.. It makes one wonder.

I pride myself in the fact that i'm very careful with all of my electronics, but as a worst case scenario if i have to use my phone in the rain or snow for a few minutes, will it be destroyed? For example, we all know that the PIxel phones are not water resistant, yet the 6P is. What does water resistant mean though? I'm always so worried, as I'm sure most of us here are, that if i were to use my phone at all in the snow, or rain, regardless of whatever case or no case I use( i have a naked phone) it'll be done for. :-(

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
The term "water resistant" would be refined by the device manufacture. They set the limits as determined by testing which the company has performed on the device.. So in this case even Water proof has limits or guild lines also.

Clearly technology has advanced in the right & wrong direction. they give us these devices in the hopes that you'll return to buy a new one within 1-3 years if not sooner, simply because the device has run it's course and become obsolete.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I definitely agree with you regarding that. I Mean if it weren't for the android beta program, the 6P would already have "out-dated" s/w on it unfortunately and yes, of course, it's a well built, durable phone, the fact that it has the same setup as a pixel is awesome and is exactly why I don't need to upgrade immediately. That's also why I ask the question as well.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I pride myself in the fact that i'm very careful with all of my electronics, but as a worst case scenario if i have to use my phone in the rain or snow for a few minutes, will it be destroyed? For example, we all know that the PIxel phones are not water resistant, yet the 6P is. What does water resistant mean though? I'm always so worried, as I'm sure most of us here are, that if i were to use my phone at all in the snow, or rain, regardless of whatever case or no case I use( i have a naked phone) it'll be done for. :-(

I think you mixed up which phone is somewhat water resistant. You'll know how water resistant a phone like the Pixel is by the IP rating. Pretty sure the 6P doesn't even have nano coating.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Had this thought the other day after reading your comments.. what if, by chance someone like FujiFilm altered their XP designed camera to be used not only as a camera but a smart phone. The most common issue or drawl back would be how does one over come the mic/speak water resistance. One issue of course would the weight of the device if one uses a depth sensitive body design as the phone/camera.

I believe it would be possible if the same technology that goes into the creation of weather proof outdoor speakers was used in a smart phone.. which then would leave the aspect of what to do about the mic. In theory, One should create a weather/water proof camera/phone first and leave carefully placed access points for a mic/speaker plug in/headset and when not in use, a rubber covering/grommet would seal this opening. Thus creating the first underwater smart phone.

Plausible?..

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
That's very true. For example, the older models of Lifeproof case for smartphones all had mic/speaker issues when talking on the phone the traditional way. Of course this didn't hinder BT capabilities. If I were to buy the PIxel 2 phone in the future, I'd probably look into the Lifeproof case regardless of the possible water resistance feature the newer phone would have. It is a very good idea nonetheless as a feature of a phone, or for a case on the phone as long as the case isn't too bulky on the phone. In my opinion, that's the issue with most of the cases on the market for smartphones. People want protection on their phone without the the added bulk. What's the point of buying a beautiful phone, if your'e just going to be protecting the phone with a bulky case right? That's one of the reasons why I do like the Lifeproof cases, They're very slim for what they do for the phone.

As for the protection of the speaker/mic, and the headset, it's a good idea. The problem is the fact that a lot of people still use their wired headphones with their smartphone vs BT. Apple with their iPhone 7 deleted the headset jack a little bit prematurely. It is still a good think that Android manufacturers give people the option still. I wonder how long that will last though.

Even right now, There's really nothing more that I would want my smartphone to do. the formfactor for 2 hands is good, and I don't mind still using my phone with 2 hands vs one-handed.

nomzamo999

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 6P has no IP rating, so you wouldn't want to drop it while texting in the bath. That said, I've used mine for extended periods in fairly heavy rain several times and there have been no noticeable ill-effects. I daresay a drop into a puddle might not be terminal if you're quick about retrieving it and getting it into the proverbial box of rice.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Of course it's not going swimming with the fish. Lol. But it's good to know it can go snowboarding, and in the rain for a little bit without any damage! Thankfully.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I used it in rain and snow and must say, while the phone per se has no Problems with the weather, the display tends to get sluggish and erroneous when it gets wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelmanVT