Weather widget for Aussies (with a proviso...)

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I've tried various apps including 1weather, Accuweather, Weather Bug, Beautiful Widgets, Wunderground, and a whole heap that I forget. I was reminded of my testing because I have been trying various Google Chrome weather apps and extensions for the browser on my PC at home, and they all showed the same fault: not accurate. Is it because I'm in Australia? I don't know. The Android apps on my phone all had the same performance flaw; not accurate. Some hilariously so.

Doesn't really matter how elegant they look or what wealth of information is presented: if it's wrong, it's of no value to me. And, personally I didn't want graphs and charts and radar and all that anyway, if required (rarely, for me) I'll browse to the government Bureau of Meteorology which has a great website.

My work-supplied Galaxy S2 was on the local Telstra network and they had an app called TelstraOne which included a widget (Weather Forecast 4 x 1) that worked for me for a long time. When the S2 died, after testing as above and being disappointed, I put it on my Nexus 5, which incidentally also uses Telstra as a service provider.

The TelstraOne app is somewhat bloatware and is a bit shaky running ART on my Nexus 5 -- or maybe it's Kit Kat, I don't know, and it crashes regularly if accessed. There is a warning on Google Play that it is not compatible with my device but the "alternative", Testra24x7, does not have the widget, it's just a bunch of service info.

Anyway the TelstraOne weather widget is rock solid and doesn't crash. It just shows me the current temperature and the forecast for the next three days, and that's all I want on my home screen because it's really accurate. Here's a screenshot, it's (obviously I suppose!) the widget right at the top. Probably for use in Australia only.

Screenshot_2014-08-05-08-01-20.jpg

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....telstra.products.telstraonehd&token=438NvQSp -- but be aware it might not work on your phone.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Good luck! Telstra did update it a few weeks back and now I find it rather less aesthetic than the screenshot above -- it has a stark white background -- and more prone to crashing.

I ended up changing to Pocket Weather Australia, which is a paid app (so what... why would anyone carp about a few dollars?) and doesn't have the free data the Telstra app has. PWA has way more info than I need, but it is a very good app and as accurate as the Telstra one (same data source: BoM). I really only needed a widget; Telstra broke the one I liked.