Weird. Did Jimmy Carter "warn" us about Android INDIRECTLY?

Bitmin

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
From Jimmy Carter's "Crisis of Confidence" speech:
(Crisis of Confidence . Jimmy Carter . WGBH American Experience | PBS)

Jimmy Carter said:
We are at a turning point in our history. There are two paths to choose. One is a path I've warned about tonight, the path that leads to fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. That path would be one of constant conflict between narrow interests ending in chaos and immobility. It is a certain route to failure.

Well, indirectly, that sounds just like Android. Fragmentation and Self-Interest would be the fragmentation of android (screen sizes, specs, etc) and self-interest sounds like the Carriers and their bloatware and the hardware maker's skins (HTC Sense, TouchWiz, etc). Now, the "mistaken idea of freedom", pretty much sounds like the mistaken idea that we're able to do anything we want to our OS. Though we are able to do whatever we want to the OS, Google could come in and say "hey that isn't allowed anymore"; they have done this with the Play store, with security and virus total.

To me, the "constant conflict" are app developers. They're in constant conflict in what devices to test on and how to test their apps. I'm not sure what "a certain route to failure" means, but even with Android's huge and swelling market share, all it takes is Apple or Microsoft to do something that users like, like having "app store approved" customizations (ex: customizations with the same store security guidelines) and bam, probably the start of a decline of the market share.

Just an interesting segment from a speech I wanted to share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201