Weird text messages

AfroKing

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
So I've been getting these weird, random text messages over the past few weeks and don't know how to stop them. It comes in as an MMS message of 2Kb. It won't let me download the images either. For whatever reason this message is spammed from people I know and random unknown numbers as well. Does anyone know what's going on?

(The images shows that whatever it is makes me receive the messages from my own contacts somehow)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230609_103820_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230609_103820_Messages.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230618_111827_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618_111827_Messages.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230613_190127_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_190127_Messages.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 6

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That can also happen if someone is sending you an MMS message (like a text with attached photo, or a group text), but the phone isn't properly set up to receive MMS. The usual cause is if mobile data is off, but it looks like yours is on. I also see in one of your screenshots that you had previously received a picture successfully.

Which carrier are you on? Have you tried asking their support?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

AfroKing

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Yes this started only recently. One day I could receive mms including group messages, then one day I couldn't and got these messages. I'm using straight talk (Verizon variant), but no I haven't.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I've been getting these weird, random text messages over the past few weeks and don't know how to stop them. It comes in as an MMS message of 2Kb. It won't let me download the images either. For whatever reason this message is spammed from people I know and random unknown numbers as well. Does anyone know what's going on?

(The images shows that whatever it is makes me receive the messages from my own contacts somehow)
Which message app your using?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you currently able to receive any MMS messages? Ask someone to text you a pic and see if it comes through normally, or if it gives you another of those "Tap to download" messages.

AfroKing

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Are you currently able to receive any MMS messages? Ask someone to text you a pic and see if it comes through normally, or if it gives you another of those "Tap to download" messages.
Great question. Just tested it and yes I can receive regular actual mms messages from real people

AfroKing

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Straight talk always seem to be problematic on Samsung, try resetting network in settings>general management>reset>reset network
This will also delete any WiFi password, Bluetooth devices
I already reset my network settings and that didn't stop these messages. I'm actually debating about just factory resetting my phone at this point.

AfroKing

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Straight talk always seem to be problematic on Samsung, try resetting network in settings>general management>reset>reset network
This will also delete any WiFi password, Bluetooth devices
This has been happening since early June (look at screen shot dates) and I've reset network settings several times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618_221458_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618_221458_Messages.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I already reset my network settings and that didn't stop these messages. I'm actually debating about just factory resetting my phone at this point.
Factory reset might not do that much. It may be more of an issue with the network. Have you already tried speaking to a support person at Straight Talk?

AfroKing

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Straight Talk is problematic
If I was in your position I try TMobile/ATT/Verizon sim direct
I can't change providers. If that's what you mean. I'm on a family plan. And this only started happening this month, as I've been with straight talk for 7 years now and this never happened before

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can't change providers. If that's what you mean. I'm on a family plan. And this only started happening this month, as I've been with straight talk for 7 years now and this never happened before
Understand,
Try talking to them but your going be on a long journey trying fix this as you do a search on this Forum for straight talk , i tried to help many over the years they end up going to one of the big carriers sim , i wish i could have a solution for you .