Well, now that I rooted and flashed, the OTA should arrive!! :0)

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have always been convinced that the minute I go ahead and root and install the 4.0.4 radios, the OTA would finally come.

So, it should be here any time now!!

Unfortunately, since my backup and restore failed, I have many tedious hours of reinstalling apps and preferences and folders and redownloading music, pictures, etc.

Can someone point me to where we get rid of that Google Search bar again?

EDIT: And, yes, right on schedule, Android Central is announcing it's arrival!!! I knew it!

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Well, now that I rooted and flashed, the OTA should arrive!!

I have always been convinced that the minute I go ahead and root and install the 4.0.4 radios, the OTA would finally come.

So, it should be here any time now!!

Unfortunately, since my backup and restore failed, I have many tedious hours of reinstalling apps and preferences and folders and redownloading music, pictures, etc.

Can someone point me to where we get rid of that Google Search bar again?

Don't you just disable it? I have no idea to be honest. I know installing a custom launcher (ala Apex, Nova) will help you remove it as well.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

There is a setting somewhere to disable it, but I can't find it.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I know! I unlocked and rooted yesterday (first time for me) , I know VZW will send it out tomorrow! But, and a big BUT, I'll install Jellybean way before it VZW even begins working in it!

Root and don't look back!

Sent from Tapatalk 2 on my Galaxy Nexus running Redemption Rom 1.3

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I know in CM you disable it in MENU-LAUNCHER-HOMESCREEN-PERSISTENT SEARCH BAR.

With Nova launcher, it is there somewhere too.

I do not think you can get rid of it stock (install Nova launcher and do it in this case).

EDIT- Nova also gives you a nice full size button for Voice Search. Finally!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes, there is a way to get rid of it in stock, since I had done it. I even told folks how to do it back early on. Now, I have forgotten! I guess I can go back and search through my own posts! :0)

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site

Yes, there is a way to get rid of it in stock, since I had done it. I even told folks how to do it back early on. Now, I have forgotten! I guess I can go back and search through my own posts! :0)

I put,"remove the google search from home on nexus" in to google and 1st link says

Simply go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Search and disable it, that?s it. The bar will now be gone.

From Remove Google Search From Home Launcher In Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich | Redmond Pie

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I use apex launcher and there is a setting to remove persistent search bar. Don't remember seeing it in the stock settings. As far as the update the Vzw level 2 tech said that it was released last week but was pulled for quality control. His notes stated that it should be rolled out to the masses this week but who knows. I'd root my phone if If it didn't have a dead pixel.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

And BINGO, right on time, AC is announcing it is live! I can't believe it.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Since I didn't flash the ROM, just the radios (so, still on 4.0.2), could I just lock back up the bootloader and still get the OTA? Does re-locking wipe the phone as well?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Since I didn't flash the ROM, just the radios (so, still on 4.0.2), could I just lock back up the bootloader and still get the OTA? Does re-locking wipe the phone as well?

It does indeed wipe. Unlocking/relocking wipes the SDcard.

In theory, you should be able to receive the update regardless b/c you're "stock." How that works with the radios (since you have the update radios) I have no idea.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

It does indeed wipe. Unlocking/relocking wipes the SDcard.

In theory, you should be able to receive the update regardless b/c you're "stock." How that works with the radios (since you have the update radios) I have no idea.

Ah, so I could still get the OTA notification even when unlocked and rooted? That would be interesting to see how it goes.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Ah, so I could still get the OTA notification even when unlocked and rooted? That would be interesting to see how it goes.

In theory, yes. Since you're still on the "stock" rom. It'll unroot you, and past the potential conflict with the radios, you should be ok. You could always flash the 4.0.2 radios per zero's thread ;).

Reactions: Vance14

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

So how long until AOKP takes the VZW 4.04 tweaks it and posts?
I DO NOT want to go back to STOCK! the phone is sooooo much better with a custom ROM! :D

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

So how long until AOKP takes the VZW 4.04 tweaks it and posts?
I DO NOT want to go back to STOCK! the phone is sooooo much better with a custom ROM! :D

What are the differences? I only flashed the radios because I was pretty happy with stock. What improvements, in particular, will I see if I flash the AOKP Rom?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

What are the differences? I only flashed the radios because I was pretty happy with stock. What improvements, in particular, will I see if I flash the AOKP Rom?

Slimmer, fast, custom launcher, numerous features/customization (like the softkeys, the status bar, toggles like 4G, etc.)

AOKP is the industry standard right now. It's absolutely fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garfildd