What 2do after unboxing galaxy note ?

2bnoted

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I am switching frm BB to android and am quite excited for it. I ordered note for at&t frm amazon.com for 200$$...seems to be a good price.
Now being completely new to the android world and to the world of rooting, flashing, etc. I would appreciate some help or opinions.
After reading various forums and threads, the first things I will do after getting my device is to root it. I will use rootgalaxynote dot com for that.

Next comes upgrading to ICS. This is where I am confused. There are so many versions, how do you guyz figure out which one is the best or the latest. It was soo easy in blackberry, there was a linear numbering system where 7.1 is better than 7.0 and so on. But in adroid, there are sooo many different names like onlyone, noteworthy, cm9, saurom...how to choose one and which one is the latest ?

Next, I have to enable free tethering to my laptop. I had this app on my BB from tether.com, but I don't know which app to use on Note and how to make it work. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Lastly, it would be gr8 if you could let me know what more to do to make my note more useful and efficient with good signal strength and battery life. Also recommendations for the must-have apps would be great.

Thank you.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
One app that's a must for me is titled "screen on/off"

It allows you to turn the home screen off without hitting the power button or waiting for it to time out.

If you will use the s-pen (which I highly recommend) I also recommend Soonr Scribble. This app will allow you to sign documents and forms. I use the app, and s-pen all the time.

Welcome to the forums!

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought of something else. If you have an HP wireless printer I also recommend the HP ePrint home/business app.

It will allow you to print directly from the Note without having to email documents to a printer email address.

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

Reactions: 2bnoted

RodneyAVO

May 22, 2012
Visit site
You might want to get a nice case with that. Phones of such rare awesomeness deserve all the protection money can buy. Roughly 20 dollars.

May your joys be pure joys and may your pain be champagne. Sent from my GT-N7000.

Reactions: 2bnoted

Elrohir

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
But in android, there are sooo many different names like onlyone, noteworthy, cm9, saurom...how to choose one and which one is the latest ?

The names you are stating here are all different ROMs(if you know Linux, they are just like the different distributions).

If the ROMs are on the same version(at one point or another they will, because they all want to have the latest version of android) they are different flavors of the same operating system. They all strive to be the best so the all have different tweaks and features you may like. In the end it just depends on your taste, one ROM may have more tweaks and features while another is a lot faster and consumes less battery.
I would advise you to NOT flash at the moment. Learn to use your phone, maybe root it, and(thats important) READ! Read as much as you can, from guides, to knowledge threads, to problems posted on the forum. It will all come back to you when you start flashing.

And the Stock Android on the GNote is one of the better ones out there ;)

I hope I could help :)

Reactions: 2bnoted and PaulF

Waxwrong

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Put the address xda-developers.com somewhere you won't forget and use it as much as possible to read up on everything.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

herculesinwyoming

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Get foxfi for the tether, it's free and requires no root.
Dounload Kies on your computer and update to ics, spend some time getting used to android before playing with flashing roms, how can you know a good rom from a bad one if you don't have any experience with android.

Unless you just have to mess with flashing and rooting, I would say just enjoy with the stock ics update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlantisx