What Blackberry's rapid descent means for Windows Phone

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to say not much, other than solidify it's 3rd place standing further, for now. WP is still light years behind android and iOS and it's app selection is still terrible. What I'm interested to see if whether or not more developers - or more accurately enough developers - start developing for WP to make it's app store not suck. But in order for me to take them seriously, it's going to require a combination of Microsoft waking up to implementing all the core OS features android and iOS users have had for ages along with much stronger developer attention. On top of that, WP has another problem with limited multi-carrier adoption. It's pretty rare to see any one particular WP device widely available on all carriers.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Another thing that gets me is how ridiculous the defenders of the Surface RT sound to everyone but themselves: "Office! Has Office! Office!Office!Office!"
They tunnel vision that one solitary feature and the sad part is that the millions of iPad and Andriod tab users...

... don't really give a flying you-know-what about office. lol.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I think windows phone is going to get that 3rd place spot. I really like those new phones they have out, but the app ecosystem is lacking.

Sent from my Galaxy S IV using Tapatalk IV

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Now now the tablet is far a head of iOS n android for a laptop substitute, its just the phone which isn't as great. Just to clarify that. I want windows to do well, I really do.

Posted via Android Central App

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
But in order for me to take them seriously, it's going to require a combination of Microsoft waking up to implementing all the core OS features android and iOS users have had for ages along with much stronger developer attention.

Have you been following the news? Google is blocking Microsoft's YouTube app for WP because it is not written in HTML5 format. The thing is that neither is the iOS or Android version (according to reports and Microsoft complaints). Part of it was that Microsoft's app was blocking ads but even when they corrected that Google still blocked it because it because of the HTML5 deal. I'm not going to defend Microsoft on all they screwed up with this Windows Phone fiasco but at least allow them a level playing surface.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry and Windows phone brings to mind the term "cripple fight".

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

Except one of those 'cripples' has a billion dollar marketing budget and will spend what it takes to get market share.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that boggles me about MS is why run 2 separate OS's for phone and tablet (wp8 and RT)?

OS image size for one. The other being Microsoft's desire to very strictly control windows phone.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Except one of those 'cripples' has a billion dollar marketing budget and will spend what it takes to get market share.

Marketing can only pull a certain amount of a influence though. The product also needs to be good. They've been really aggressive with the Surface RT ads and it's still bombing.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Marketing can only pull a certain amount of a influence though. The product also needs to be good. They've been really aggressive with the Surface RT ads and it's still bombing.

Well yeah. But windows phone is not windows rt. Although its still missing a few key apps, its only some small tweaks away from being really, really good. Its certainly further along than android was at this point in its life cycle.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah. But windows phone is not windows rt. Although its still missing a few key apps, its only some small tweaks away from being really, really good. Its certainly further along than android was at this point in its life cycle.

Microsoft has had an OS on mobile phones for over 13 years. I must admit Android doesn't have THIS though...........:D

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who likes their tablet? To be honest I think its the only thing which could beat original PC windows.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarkarsly