What brand/model QI charger are you using?

VDoubleUVR6

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
(Sorry for the long post)

So I'm a little let down by wireless charging on my G3. I ordered a new LG back plate with the QI coil/sticker in place and ordered an Anker Ultra Slim Qi charging pad to charge it.

So first charge I set the phone down guessing where the sweet spot is and it started charging...5 mins later I hear it disconnect and is no longer charging. I pick up the phone and it's hot (didn't have battery temp app at that time) so in fear I charged it via USB as it was getting late. The following day after work I tried it again and same thing...5 mins later it disconnects. I gave up and ordered a Choetech Stadium T513 charger since it has 3 coils (easier to get its "sweet spot") and returned the Anker one.

A few days later I get the Choetech in and give it a try..plug it in and place the phone on the pad and it started charging. I let it go for about 10-15 mins and I check up on it and it still indicates its charging but the battery indicator isn't fluctuating and battery dropped a few percent. I remove it from the charging pad and try again...same thing. Then I decide to try my wife's 2A charger from her tablet as the power source and it appears to be working. I check up on it 30 mins later and the battery percentage has increased but the phone is hot again. I downloaded a battery temp app and recorded a high temp of 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

I decided to contact Choetech's support and I tried a few things with placement, going back to my LG charger (woke up to a dead battery because of the LG charger), them stating that 110 degrees is not high and is safe but nothing seems to be working. They then tell me that the LG G3 works better with their T511 charger (single coil rather than three) and a 2A charger...so once again I do another return and order that T511 charging pad and their 2A charger (still waiting for that to arrive).

I started thinking that maybe I need to order a more expensive charging pad like the TYLT VU?

Either way figured I would jump on the forums and ask what others are using for their wireless charging pads or is QI charging for phones just a hit or miss gimmick?

sralj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the Tylt Vu charger for a year now, have had no over heat or disconnect problems. I have used it to charge an N5, SGS5, and now the LG G3. Best investment I made.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
ZENS Single Wireless Charger, a bit pricey but it works great for me. No overheating BUT you do have to learn where the sweet spot is.

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
OP, what is the output of the AC charger you have the Qi charging plate plugged into? Anything less than 1.8 amps isn't going to work reliably. 2 amps is better.

I've also been surprised to find that the USB cable makes a big difference with Qi chargers. Thin cables, with very thin wires, seem to have too much resistance and limite the current going to the charging plate too much. I was about to send one Qi puck back until I swapped USB cables. Now it works fine.

FWIW, I'm using this Qi puck, cnnected to the 2 amp charger from my Samsung tablet.

Amazon.com: PowerBot® PB1020 Qi Enabled Wireless Charger Inductive Charging Pad Station for All Qi Standard Compatible Devices Including Samsung, iPhone, Nokia, Google, Nexus, LG, HTC and Other Smartphones with Receivers (AC Adapter Excluded. 2 x Mi

VDoubleUVR6

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I used both the G3 1.8A charger and a Samsung tab 2A charger with the LG cable and the ones that were supplied with the two charging pads.

I did however receive the Choetech's T511 charger today along with their 2A charger and successfully charged the phone from 65% to 100% in about 2hrs and 15mins and the highest temp recorded was 104 degrees Fahrenheit. So I guess this one might be a keeper...I'm going to test charging without the Spigen Slim Armor case tomorrow and see if the temps lower.

What do you all record as a high temp when the phone is on the QI charger?

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem.. Returned a couple qi stickers and a qi back and almost gave up due to chargers disconnecting after a few minutes or not charging at all. And I gave it one last try. This time I ordered a qi sticker from eBay (9 bucks or so) and a Nokia fatboy qi 3 coil charger and now I'm charging with my Spigen Slim Armor on my g3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem.. Returned a couple qi stickers and a qi back and almost gave up due to chargers disconnecting after a few minutes or not charging at all. I gave it one last try. This time I ordered a qi sticker from eBay (9 bucks or so) and a Nokia fatboy qi 3 coil charger and now I'm charging with my Spigen Slim Armor on my g3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've not recorded temps, but it's never gotten hot enough to be uncomfortable for me to hold.

The case might very well slow charging. (I apologize if you already know this, but.....) Wireless charges work this way: The charger passes alternating current through the coil in the charging plate, which creates a pulsing magnetic field. The coil in the receiver is energized by this magnetic field, and creates AC current, which the phone converts to DC to charge the battery.

Magnetic fields weaken very rapidly with distance. Even large, very powerful rare-earth magnets can be safely transported with a foot or so of packing material around them. The field created by a Qi charger is anything but very powerful, so the extra distance between the two coils created by the case may have a significant effect on output voltage. I say may because I'm certainly not an expert on these devices.

wwwjr

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I use the Tylt Vu. Works great and I can charge vertical and horizontal and with the cover flipped behind the phone. Best charger, for sure. I had the Nexus one before and it was always tricky to find the sweet spot.

Posted via Android Central App

stardomains

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Just recently bought the official LG G3 slim guard case with Qi/NFC from mobilefun. Quick shipping and I set it on the LG WCD-100 Official Wireless Desktop Charger Dock and it works great. I originally tried my G3 with 3rd party battery doors and Qi chargers and that was a big waste of time and money(annoying finding the right spot, message on phone saying it is charging slowly even though I had 1.8mah usb supply on it). I recommend sticking to the official LG stuff(I place it on and it charges no problem). I just bought another WCD-100 dock too for the beside table.

VDoubleUVR6

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to post up my findings....I purchased the Koolpad QI charger on Amazon and charged (with a 2A USB wall charger) the last two nights successfully without the battery going over 98 degrees Fahrenheit according to the logs recorded by Battery Monitor Widget Pro. What I also like about this one is it detects when the phone isn't placed correctly on the charging pad and will flash the LED and give and audible warning. I did however get the "muted" version with the on/off button that has been hit or miss keeping the thing quiet (which I'm going to send an email about...I know it can be physically fixed according to the reviews).

So the Anker Ultra Slim, ChoeTech T513 and T511 chargers worked (as in charged the phone) but all of them had the battery at/around/above 110 degrees which I didn't like. So for now I found a winner....time to order a second one for the wife.

Dvs1j

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the lg wcd 100 flip qi charger(oldest son uses for his xperia z3v) Nokia charge plate(gave to mother for her note 4), Verizon qi stand(my stand for g3 and whatever new device I get ☺) , the lg puck(middle son uses for his g3), Samsung charging plate(gave to wife for her note edge, it the big white one) had the small square (horrible construction) tylt vu car charger and all of these work with each phone seamlessly. The lg flip didn't work with my note edge, had to to my wife place it in a funny direction due to the size of the device. These are all scattered throughout my house. I refuse to be tied to a wall plug. I love the idea of dropping it off and getting a charge. Ikea is starting to roll out furniture for this tech and I will more likely try it out to see if it offers anything for me and my family. I look for new exciting designs for function and use. These are my two cents on the subject.

Posted via the Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the hockey puck looking one from LG. The only problem I have is finding the "Sweet Spot". Most nights it takes 2 tries before it begins the charging sequance. I'm thinking of picking up a TyltVu because of this, however, there's no heating issues and if you place it correctly, it'll charge your phone just fine. I put it down each night when I go to bed, and pick it up each morning after the alarm goes off. Sometimes on weekends I leave it on the pad for most of the day. No issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulm1407