What do you do to make your phone faster?

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I saw a youtube video where a guy was removing bloatware and disabling apps with package disabler pro. Which leads me to the question, what should we be disabling if we want to get the most out of our devices? I have a gallery and google photos, I want to disable one, but I know one of them makes a "story" and I can't remember which one and I really liked that feature.

Anyways, this guy disabled all of the apps that had either Samsung, Google(do we really need 2 music apps?) or his carrier. He claims that it makes his phone faster and I am assuming that it doesn't use as much ram. I tried to look for the video when I got home, but I can't find it.

So what should we be disabling(if any) to get the most out of our devices but at the same time not miss what could be cool features?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Ive done that before, do you get rid of any bloatware?

I've played with the developer options before in regards to animations.

I ended up resetting the s8 as I found myself liking the animations better than snapping straight from one screen to another.

I buy direct from Samsung so I have no carrier bloatware.

Some of the Samsung stuff I disable in Settings or uninstall.

I personally prefer not to play around with a package disabler just in case.

To be honest my N9 is fast as it is.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
After doing a system software upgrade, wipe the cache partition...

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the green Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight 'wipe cache partition'.
Press Power button to select.
Press the Volume down key until 'yes' is highlighted and press the Power button.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device.

Here is a discussion on what this actually does:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr/343560-what-exactly-wipe-cache-partition.html

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
I've played with the developer options before in regards to animations.

I ended up resetting the s8 as I found myself liking the animations better than snapping straight from one screen to another.

I buy direct from Samsung so I have no carrier bloatware.

Some of the Samsung stuff I disable in Settings or uninstall.

I personally prefer not to play around with a package disabler just in case.

To be honest my N9 is fast as it is.

Actually heard a story about Samsung. Customer got a phone that was defective and it had a green line on the screen, so they had to send the phone back and when they sent the phone back, then Samsung refunded the money but they don't have an exchange program so they refunded the money but then customer had to re order the phone all over again. I do like that it doesnt come with carrier bloatware tho.

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Where is developer mode on the Verizon N9? I had it enabled on my S7E but I haven't been able to locate it on this one.

You need to go to Settings, About Phone, Software Information, then click on Build Number 7 times (it will give you a popup telling you how many more times to click), once that is done Developer Options will be enabled.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Removing bloat mainly seems a placebo with the last few years of high end phones. Even app removal is near worthless, since does not take much space.

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
First thing i did with my Note 8 was to flash with the latest operating system using Odin.
That got rid of all the cell provider bloatwear etc.
I might do that with Note 9