What does it mean when you have "Banned" below your A.C. name

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys.. I know this is the wrong forum spot to place this in but..

When you have "Banned" under your name or profile on AndroidCentral, what does that mean? I have seen lots of people having "Banned" under their profile or name, and their profile is still viewable..

How do you achieve this "name" or "title" of sorts, how long does it last, what does it mean?

sfhub, drew, can anyone help with this confusion?

Banned??

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It means exactly what it says...

The member has been permanently banned from Android Central. They can no longer post or participate in any activities here at Android Central.

How do you achieve this "name" or "title" of sorts, how long does it last, what does it mean?
Follow the Forum Rules/Guidelines, basically meaning display and observe good forum etiquette and you will never have to worry about this :)

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
In a nutshell don't cuss and show respect for other forum members and their views.
You don't have to agree with other people, but you can agree to disagree in a respectful manner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DrDoppio

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Why is "their" profile still visible here at AndroidCentral?

Because you don't just disappear after they ban you. Your profile is left behind as a warning. Besides, you're not supposed to be reusing your login e-mail to create another account after you screw up.

By the way, your sig takes too much space. It's a little annoying.

Last edited:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, it's so that you don't get a thread like this:
RandomUser1: Can you help me please with _______
RandomUser1: That's hilarious. really. Please advise
RandomUser1: I'm sorry if I've offended anyone
RandomUser1: There's no call for that!
RandomUser1: I'm calling in the mods for that comment.

If you erase the banned user, than threads may not make any sense. (If their is a really bad post the moderators will edit it so that the thread still makes sense, but the bad content is removed)

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
"Banned" means you have made the wrong person mad. :) Be nice, show respect, and you'll be here a long time.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What I really wanna know is why we can't talk about esn/meid modification? it kinda make me feel like a Communist living under oppression of some dictator it not illegal to talk about or fix a problem with.....so why?

Not trying to get "banned" but this is driveing me nuts IV got some cool ideas

Thanks

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
What I really wanna know is why we can't talk about esn/meid modification? it kinda make me feel like a Communist ruling under oppression of some dictator it not illegal to talk about or fix a problem with.....so why?

Not trying to get "banned" but this is driveing me nuts IV got some cool ideas

Thanks

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Because it's illegal, and besides discussing how to do it, there isn't much more to talk about unless you want to debate the law itself in the off topic forum -- which we're not going to stop.

All the answers regarding banning are correct -- including the logistical issues that deleting a profile creates.

However, the signature comment was a little harsh.

That said, if you wrap the image in the [imgr][/imgr] or [imgl][/imgl] tags, it will justify/wrap the text around the image and will look better.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Because it's illegal, and besides discussing how to do it, there isn't much more to talk about unless you want to debate the law itself in the off topic forum -- which we're not going to stop.

All the answers regarding banning are correct -- including the logistical issues that deleting a profile creates.

However, the signature comment was a little harsh.

That said, if you wrap the image in the [imgr][/imgr] or [imgl][/imgl] tags, it will justify/wrap the text around the image and will look better.

So to satisfy my own curiousity, what is the process for getting banned?
  • Can any moderator ban someone?
  • Is the offending person notified?
  • Is there any oversight of bannings, by other mods or admins?
  • Is there an appeals process if someone thinks they were wrongly banned?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not to be rude or blunt but the moderating process and how things are handled is something we don't discuss openly.

I think you can get a good idea if you read over the forum rules and guidelines as to how things are handled ;)

PatrickAkridge

"The Button Pusher"
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I fixed my signature! :D I removed the Ice Cream Sandwich-advertising-ROM-thingy to [one] save space and [two] to change it to meet requirements of the AndroidCentral Forums.

DrDoppio

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to be rude or blunt but the moderating process and how things are handled is something we don't discuss openly.

I think you can get a good idea if you read over the forum rules and guidelines as to how things are handled ;)

First rule of AndroidCentral Forums: you don't talk about rules at AndroidCentral forums!

Not to be rude or blunt, but as long as discussing "the moderating process and how things are handled" is not against "forum rules and guidelines", we will feel free to discuss them openly.

I know this isn't a democracy but a business, and I also know being overly restrictive isn't good for business either. Make the rules clear, stick to them, and people respect you and want to come back and contribute to your site, thus helping your business.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not to be rude or blunt, but as long as discussing "the moderating process and how things are handled" is not against "forum rules and guidelines", we will feel free to discuss them openly.

Sounds like Paul was saying Mods don't discuss the process with everyone else, but, that's just how I took it.

Make the rules clear, stick to them, and people respect you and want to come back and contribute to your site, thus helping your business.

The forum guidelines are well written and clear. I have not read them in a while, but, when I first joined AC, I read over them and knew exactly what the forum etiquette was and how to behave.

Reactions: DrDoppio

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First rule of AndroidCentral Forums: you don't talk about rules at AndroidCentral forums!

I know this isn't a democracy but a business, and I also know being overly restrictive isn't good for business either. Make the rules clear, stick to them, and people respect you and want to come back and contribute to your site, thus helping your business.

DrDoppio,

We are not overly restrictive in our moderation here at Android Central. However it is also not good practice to talk about exactly what goes into our decision factors of handling moderation. We could sit here and talk forum guidelines & rules all day long but that wouldn't make for very interesting reading in an Android forum would it?

The forum guidelines/rules are made readily available to all members at the top header portion of every page within the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDoppio

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Wait before I agreed I was to supposed to read all that stuff. Oh well just click OK and b done with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeff