What exactly is "System Memory" under Miscellaneous Storage?

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
My phone was almost full so I checked the Storage area under Settings. It listed an item called Miscellaneous Files that was using 5+ Gigs in size. When I tapped it to open, it's all under something called System Memory but I can't open it to get any information on it.

Is there a way to find out what's using up so much memory and how I can clear it out? Apps have their own section so it shouldn't be the apps I installed so I have no idea what's using up so much space.

This is on a GS5 that's not rooted.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
System Memory are the OS files and yup, you can't get rid of them. It's usually around 6 to 8 Gigabytes for Samsung devices, and yes, that's a lot :(

However, System Memory should not be under Miscellaneous, it should be a category on its own if you're looking at the stock system storage report.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recall seeing another post recently about the OS showing up in the Miscellaneous category in Settings/Storage. Maybe some manufacturers insist on showing the storage stats in different ways. Or maybe it's specific to certain ROMs.

SinatraV

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I understand this correctly, the 3.72gb of "Applications" memory that is dedicated primarily to bloatware is not calculated into the 6.26gb of "System memory" in "Miscellaneous Files" that Samsung needs to run? So as a conservative estimate, between Samsung and Verizon, they are using 9+gb of my total device memory of 16gb?

I have plenty of memory on my card but still struggle being comfortable with 3.77gb free on a 16gb phone that is 3 weeks old and has very little apps installed by myself.

If I have properly understood everything I guess I was just venting. If not, any suggestions would be appreciated.

John