What GPS systems can my Galaxy S7 Edge access?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am looking for reliable\accurate GPS info, not getting it now on my phone. I live in the woods, and mostly get one bar for cell tower signal strength. If I understand correctly you do not use data if you are using just GPS (A-GPS does use data). Under Connectivity\Location, I have it set to "High accuracy" (GPS, WIFI, Mobile Networks). I am wondering if because it may also be using A-GPS (and the one bar on the tower strength), that my GPS info is not accurate, and that perhaps I should change this setting to 'Phone only' (Just GPS)?

This site...connectedwiki.com/best-gps-smartphone/, says "For example, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 supports GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou and Galileo. This chip is found in smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.

This site, under connectivity\gps ...phonemore.com/specs/samsung/galaxy-s7-edge/sm-g935v/, shows "A-GPS, GeoTagging, GLONASS, BeiDou"... it does not say 'GPS'

So, it is confusing as to what my phone actually has access to (GPS, A-GPS. Whatever).

Also, above it says "supports GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou and Galileo." I see no GLONASS, BeiDou, or Galileo, mentioned anywhere in my location settings. What does 'Support' actually mean? Does it mean that my phone is using these other GPS services, or, that some additional hardware or software is needed to give me this access?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! GLONASS is Russian, BeiDou is Chinese, and Galileo is EU.

Your phone can access A-GPS. That means it can use the GPS satellite system, and also enhance the accuracy using cell towers or wi-fi signal (but the enhancement is by no means necessary).

Are you connecting to a home router, or to someone else's router? Are you using a VPN? If you're using a wi-fi network outside of your house, it's possible that it could give a false location -- I've seen that before when connecting to public wi-fi hotspots at some restaurants. VPNs can do the same, based on the servers they're using. It's worth seeing what happens if you use the Device Only setting for Location Accuracy, which should just be based on the GPS satellites.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
First how accurate are trying to be? The government intentionally distorts satellite signals so that the accuracy is only within about 5 meters on satellite alone.

I took these two items from this site... https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

What is the government's commitment to GPS accuracy?

The government is committed to providing GPS at the accuracy levels specified in the GPS Standard Positioning Service (SPS) Performance Standard. View document

The accuracy commitments do not apply to GPS devices, but rather to the signals transmitted in space. For example, the government commits to broadcasting the GPS signal in space with a global average user range error (URE) of ≤7.8 m (25.6 ft.), with 95% probability. Actual performance exceeds the specification. On May 11, 2016, the global average URE was ≤0.715 m (2.3 ft.), 95% of the time.

To be clear, URE is not user accuracy. User accuracy depends on a combination of satellite geometry, URE, and local factors such as signal blockage, atmospheric conditions, and receiver design features/quality.

How accurate is GPS?

It depends. GPS satellites broadcast their signals in space with a certain accuracy, but what you receive depends on additional factors, including satellite geometry, signal blockage, atmospheric conditions, and receiver design features/quality.

For example, GPS-enabled smartphones are typically accurate to within a 4.9 m (16 ft.) radius under open sky (view source at ION.org). However, their accuracy worsens near buildings, bridges, and trees.