What happened to my original speech-to-text on my Android?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Originally, I could tap the microphone at the top of my keyboard and speak to text, and the keyboard would still show, so that I could correct words as the message appeared. But it was changed without notice and now, when I tap the mic, a gray Google screen covers the keyboard and just shows a mic that says Tap to pause. So, now, when I speak to text, I have no way of correcting it without closing that Google screen. Is there any way to get back what I had: the mic and the keyboard at the same time?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I don't think you've given us enough information to help you with your issue. It's funny because most leave out the app and model of their device and go on and on about the problem, you've actually told us very little about your problem but have told us everything about your device and app. LOL. Please register an account so that you can reply to this thread and give us more detail about your problem.

What is voice to text doing, or not doing?

How is this different than your previous experience?

When did you notice this beginning or first notice it?

Has anything on your device noticeably updated recently or around the time that this started?

Do you have any other keyboards installed, that you installed?

Also include anything else that you feel may be important information.

This link will help you register an account... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Janey3

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
ZTE ZMAX2, Model Z955L . Current keyboard shows English (US) - Google Keyboard.
Trying one more time after spending an hour trying to log in: Originally, I could tap the microphone at the top of my keyboard and speak to text, and the keyboard would still show, so that I could correct words as the message appeared. But it was changed without notice and now, when I tap the mic, a gray Google screen covers the keyboard and just shows a mic that says Tap to pause. So, now, when I speak to text, I have no way of correcting it without closing that Google screen. Is there any way to get back what I had: the mic and the keyboard at the same time?

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if they're talking about something other than GBoard and calling it a Google keyboard because the Google dialog box shows when they're attempting Voice to Text?

GBoard while a Google product doesn't use the Google VtT interface, that seems like an open source thing that other apps use so they don't have to put in the work.

The first is GBoard a Google product and only technically a Google keyboard.

The second is Samsung keyboard and the last is Swiftkey. I believe I've seen both come native to devices. Both use the type of interface you've described.

It seems like you've changed keyboards and either noticed and disregarded the matter or somehow didn't notice.

To get back to GBoard open a text field. Find the keyboard selector. It looks like a keyboard and will either be at the bottom of the screen under the keyboard you've opened or in the notification pull down. Touch that and select GBoard.Screenshot_20200227-201133_Messages.jpegScreenshot_20200227-201323_Messages.jpegScreenshot_20200227-203545.jpeg

Janey3

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
I did not change my keyboard, Google did. And, when they asked for feedback yesterday, and I told them what I didn't like about the change, it was changed again. However, it is at least somewhat like I had before, so I can live with that. Thanks to all of you who offered help. I appreciate your time and efforts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sH4D0Wm4N