News What is RISC-V and what does it mean for Android and Wear OS?

deltatux

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Compared to a CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer) design like ARM, the platform used in things like your phone or your smartwatch, a RISC processor needs more individual instructions, but each is done very fast.
Ummm, ARM isn't a CISC architecture. ARM originally stood for Acorn RISC Machine, now it stands for Advanced RISC Machine.

ARM has a whole page on the benefits of its RISC architecture vs. traditional CISC designs:

Even when you click the ARM link in the original quote, it leads to AC's page on ARM that calls ARM a RISC architecture...

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ummm, ARM isn't a CISC architecture. ARM originally stood for Acorn RISC Machine, now it stands for Advanced RISC Machine.

ARM has a whole page on the benefits of its RISC architecture vs. traditional CISC designs:

Even when you click the ARM link in the original quote, it leads to AC's page on ARM that calls ARM a RISC architecture...
Oh my days! I wish I had been willing to click the article so I could have pointed that out lol.

fabische

May 9, 2013
Visit site
OMG!!! What a massive failure in journalistic research! 😅 How can anybody call himself a senior editor at Android central when he proves not having the slightest idea about what he is writing..!? Of course Qualcomms ARM is a risk architecture. It was developed and launched 1982 by Acorn Risk Machine based in Oxford in the then first "BBC Computer". Their Risk concept was a counter concept to Intel's x86 CISC architecture. Without Risk the smartphone revolution would not have taken place because Cisk architecture is way too powerhungry for mobile devices.

cwcheese

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

so I clicked that URL and find that it was Jerry citing Jerry's own article explaining how ARM is RISC ... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana