Question What is your backup device?

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
The answers to this question will be broad so I thought I'd put it in the ask a question section after trying to decide the appropriate section for it.

My daily driver is a Galaxy S22, still runs and performs great, and is insured. But I thought it a good idea to have a backup in even i have to send it in for repair or total replacement. I was a big note9 fan because of the note features and iris scanner, plus it has an oxygen sensor-- which was dropped from note 10 onward. I could have got an S10 or S10+, but I saved $100 by getting the note 9. I was able to import the metallic copper version, which was originally released only in the Asia region and I think India. I did my research to be sure it would support Verizon LTE bands before buying it, and it does.

I did have to change it from its default Chinese language settings, which took a minute to figure out 😅 but I did. Tested my SIM and calls and texts work perfectly. Yes it is dated now, but I like having the O2 sensor, and it still handles the basics plenty well enough. Also love the copper color as welll. 5G is not necessary to me so that wasn't a sacrifice.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
When the s22U was realeased, I paid full price & kept my Note20U as a backup phone.
This year, I bought the S24U. Although, logic would say, trade the Note20U in on the s24U, I traded in the s22U instead.
😄

Reactions: Shellcracker

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
It depends:

Do you want to keep a backup phone with you while you go out, in case your main one gets stollen, loses power or something? For that, I use a Unihertz Atom. That's the smallest rugged smartphone I know of! I use a cheap cellular plan for it (In the US, Ultra Mobile PayGo is 5 USD per month).

Do you want something to keep at home, rather than something to routinely take out with you? For that, I just use my old phone. It's compatible with my cellular provider. The outdated OS limits the apps which can be run on it, but it still works with a reliable taxi company's app.

I also have my laptop computer. That too can serve as a backup phone, thanks to VOIP services (e.g. Google Voice in the US) and messaging applications (e.g. Siginal, WhatsApp). Most laptops don't have cellular data capability, so you'll probably need wi-fi to make a call. Still, if you carry a laptop with you anyway, no reason to not make it a mobile phone. The same goes for tablet computers.

The important thing is this: Test your backups! From time to time: Test them to see if they can still do what you need them to do. That way, if the day comes when you need your backup, you're good to go.

Reactions: Shellcracker

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos