What The "Echo" SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
If you need those things, I'm assuming they'll be along soon iin an EVO2. I dont understand all the hate, simply because one phone doesn't match a person's expectations. Choice is a good thing.

Reactions: Dre89 and IAmBroom

bpcooper14

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is necessarily the phone that people are complaining about. It was all of the hype that was created by the announcement of the unveiling. If this would have just shown up for sales without all of the internet created hype, i think people would have thought "ehhh, not bad, interesting concept, but can't wait till we see what is coming next at CTIA, MWC, etc. (fill in your event)".

On the heels of CES, sprint fans were let down by all of the other hardware that verizon, att, tmobile displayed and is on the way. Sprint really had nothing to show or any buzz to create. I'm taking a wait and see approach but this is a phone that isn't on my radar right now. I'm happy with my Evo till something sways me in the future.

digitalfan

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think they choose not to do 4G because of power issues. I don't know if there is a 2GHZ processor out there, but a Snapdragon is pretty powerful. I def want to try it out. But it seems like Sprints next Upstage. Which is a great phone, by the way, just wasn't good for data. I think this MIGHT actually be better then the Upstage since it obviously will be data friendly.

And the Instinct sold well guys. At least for Sprint.

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think we as consumers and android enthusiast hyped this phone up... Sprint only sent invites to select websites, etc...not the public...sprint introduced the first dual screen phone ...they didn't say anything else... I think the "average consumer" will be somewhat intrigued...its something that hasn't been done before and people love being the first to get something or try it out...I can't wait until the rest of sprint's line up to see what's in store...

Life is about EVOlution

Reactions: IAmBroom

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Also...I think if apple were to come out with this exact phone but instead of it being kyocero...there was an apple thrown on there...people would be going ape shxt over it ...just my opinion though

Life is about EVOlution

pup23

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
By the way, on one of the Sprint pages they advertise the phone as having 1 GB of RAM, so unless they are handing out misguided information, perhaps the official version is planned to get bumped up?

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a "Product 1". The first of its kind. They are going to see how it works, and developer interest, and if that all turns out well, they'll continue with the second version (which is for sure already in the works), which will most likely be fully spec'd out.

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a "Product 1". The first of its kind. They are going to see how it works, and developer interested, and if that all turns out well, they'll continue with the second version (which is for sure already in the works), which will most likely be fully spec'd out.

i hope it stops at product 1, I think having two screens is dumb. Why not work with AndroidOS to write a feature where 2 apps can be open on a tablet w/out having to have 2 screens. Tablets already have larger screens, no need to have that stupid line across the screen.

I think it was so damn dumb how the guy demoing the hardware said, "look you can even watch a movie on both screens." "larger real estate" how lame...

Really....? you think people want to watch a movie w/ a line through the middle of it? You really think that is going to appeal to anyone?

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Really....? you think people want to watch a movie w/ a line through the middle of it? You really think that is going to appeal to anyone?

I sure do think people will be interested.

i hope it stops at product 1, I think having two screens is dumb. Why not work with AndroidOS to write a feature where 2 apps can be open on a tablet w/out having to have 2 screens. Tablets already have larger screens, no need to have that stupid line across the screen.?

The future holds a device that will work as our everything.

Who wouldn't want a phone that morphs into a tablet? Who would want to buy both if you didn't have too?

(I've been forced to repeat myself and I apologize). Bendible screens have been developed over the last few years, therefor, if they choose to use this in the next version, it will thus eliminate the line you find so horrible.

Here's a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbTO5VM6s-4

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I sure do think people will be interested.

Who wouldn't want a phone that morphs into a tablet? Who would want to buy both if you didn't have too?

(I've been forced to repeat myself and I apologize). Bendible screens have been developed over the last few years, therefor, if they choose to use this in the next version, it will thus eliminate the line you find so horrible.

Here's a reference: YouTube - Samsungs Flexible OLED Screen

I've heard about bendable screens, that right there has mas appeal but 2x 3.5'' screens w/ low res. nope.

I actually don't want a tablet to replace my phone, if they could somehow manage to create a phone w/ a bendable screen so that I could fold it and put it in my pocket I would be all for that.

Until then I'll probably get a tablet, I already carry 2 phones for work an evo and a palm pre, my pre is my personal line had it for close to 2 years, I'm debating getting a tablet, but I'm going to wait and hope that HTC releases a new version of the EVO w/ better specs.

I guess we'll see how people react to it, we'll also see how the battery life last too. ;-)

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

No, but I could see myself watching a video on one screen while emailing or surfing on the other. Which brings me to a question: Youtube and the gallery are both "simul-tasting" apps, but will you be able to stream or show downloaded movies on one screen? Or does the gallery only let you look at pictures in simul-task mode?

mercado79

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
this is the type of device that needed to be worked on in conjunction with google. the whole "we'll release the sdk and devs will have at it" bit is ludicrous. no one, or very few devs are going to rewrite their apps to work on a niche product that will sell less than 100,000 units. and i think that's being generous.

now if it were to take honeycomb's fragments and split them across the screens when in tablet mode and provide a way to launch certain apps on one screen or both without customizations to the android os, that'd be another thing altogether.

low battery capacity, asymmetrical screens (thick bezel on the right side on one and on the left on the other. this looks especially bad when in single screen mode), first gen snapdragon when 2nd gen has been out for months and dual core's are available now, no 4g, no front facing camera. come on. there are tons of negatives to this device. couple that with the fact that sprint hasn't announced any new eye catching phones or tablets at ces or since while all the other majors have announced several.... this was a tremendous let down.

if it were 4g, dual core, edge to edge 4 inch screens (so a true tablet when in tablet mode), front facing camera, and honeycomb ready (even if it were an unofficial implementation), this would fly off the shelves. someone should put a mockup together and send it off to sprint.

in it's current form, it's a waste of sprint's time and marketing money.

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, if dual-screen is the future, screw phones and I'll go make my own contraption. I personally (IMO) would definitely not want a phone that morphs into a tablet. Others may, but I'm out otherwise. The concept is interesting and certainly not a disastrous one, let alone a bad one, but the execution in both business terms and mechanical terms is just not a good one.

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Also...I think if apple were to come out with this exact phone but instead of it being kyocero...there was an apple thrown on there...people would be going ape shxt over it ...just my opinion though

Life is about EVOlution

Sure... "People" would be... They're called Apple fanboi's.

The people who were/are *****ing about this aren't those people.

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Sure... "People" would be... They're called Apple fanboi's.

The people who were/are *****ing about this aren't those people.

I think you're missing my point though...I don't think sprint brought this phone out for the hardcore android enthusiast/hacker type you find in our forums... to me it was sprint's own twisted way of saying how they innovators in the industry...by introducing new technology whether it's ready for the spotlight or not...

The average consumer is going to look at this phone and say "hey that's neat...I don't know anybody else with this kind of phone ...I want it first..."

Life is about EVOlution

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think you're missing my point though...I don't think sprint brought this phone out for the hardcore android enthusiast/hacker type you find in our forums... to me it was sprint's own twisted way of saying how they innovators in the industry...by introducing new technology whether it's ready for the spotlight or not...

The average consumer is going to look at this phone and say "hey that's neat...I don't know anybody else with this kind of phone ...I want it first..."

Life is about EVOlution

Define average user. I really don't think that would happen with many average user customers. Many customers could care less about innovation. I for one know that many of my relatives don't really care and just get what works for them: a Blackberry or just Rumor Touch or whatever. When I told them about the Echo, they were appalled by the idea.

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Define average user. I really don't think that would happen with many average user customers. Many customers could care less about innovation. I for one know that many of my relatives don't really care and just get what works for them: a Blackberry or just Rumor Touch or whatever. When I told them about the Echo, they were appalled by the idea.

I run a coffee shop Which is right next door to a radio shack and a sprint store... I'm in there talking gadgets alot of the day...and since sprint put the echo on the website. I'd say 3 out 15-20 customers have asked about the phone...bring up hacking and roms and etc and they have no clue as to what your talking about...to me that's average
Life is about EVOlution