what to use for pmp

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
hello all. i want to buy my kids a samsung galaxy s wifi 5.0 and 4.0 for xmas but i can't seem to find out when they are coming out or the price. i dont want to hvae no choice but to get a ipod touch so i'm wondering if i can use any android phone (hopfully htc lol) with out having to sign up with a carrier. just buy the phone. is this possible?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Usually, you can buy a device outright without getting into a contract. Of course the price will be closer to the manufacturers suggested retail price.

Of course the downside, is that in the US, carrier branded devices will only work on the carriers network. ex, if you buy a phone from AT%T, it will only work on their network. It's what we call a "locked" phone.

If you were to "unlock" the phone, which is legal to do, and use another carriers network. At best, you would be limited to 3g.

Whatever you do, I suggest a GSM (sim card) phone, as if you travel a lot, you can get local sim cards thus saving you a lot of roaming charges, especially when abroad. Of course you'll need to get the "unlock" code to do this. I've heard reports sometimes the people where you buy this device, will sometimes be nice and do this for you.

GNX231

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i dont want to use it on any network just wifi for the kids. will i get an error message or something that would be a problem? like i said i just want it for them without using the phone at all.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sony is bringing Walkman name back. New devices will run Android. Might be cheaper whe giving you Wi-Fi only for your kids that you want. Unless you want them to have 911 failing capability.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
i dont want to use it on any network just wifi for the kids. will i get an error message or something that would be a problem? like i said i just want it for them without using the phone at all.

Should operate Wifi fine without a contract. However, some phones will give an error if it's not "activated", but I've heard you can bypass this.

You could get an inexpensive tablet with Wifi only. Something with a 7 inch screen if you want it small. Coby has some inexpensive models.

If you don't want to use it as a phone, then I suggest the tablets. Cheaper than buying a phone I suppose, and they'll appreciate the larger display.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Can make calls with Google voice and grooveip. Just putting it out there. I'm not affiliated, just use it myself. :) free calls over wifi!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Should operate Wifi fine without a contract. However, some phones will give an error if it's not "activated", but I've heard you can bypass this.

You could get an inexpensive tablet with Wifi only. Something with a 7 inch screen if you want it small. Coby has some inexpensive models.

If you don't want to use it as a phone, then I suggest the tablets. Cheaper than buying a phone I suppose, and they'll appreciate the larger display.

I agree, sounds like you just need a tablet. If it's just for kids you can pickup a reasonable priced one at Costco for probably $200 or $300.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, check out the reviews on AC for the Player models. Seem like they may be more what you're looking for. But rather pricey for such a small display.

Still, a tablet would be better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
driodPixel