What type of chargers are best for the galaxy s8?

A

AC Question

It's been a while since I've brought a brand new phone, and all of a sudden there all these different kinds of faster charging options available. To make things easier I am forgoing wireless charging/faster wireless charging and sticking to tethered.

As far as I can see Samsung does not support the qualcomm quick charge standard (exynos processor and all) but uses their propriety "adaptive" fast charging which has a 5V/2A plug. Does this mean any 5V/2A will use charge quickly or only samsung offical ones and if it is the official ones, will S7 chargers provide optimal charge?

Also I have a 5V/3A type C charger available, will this be safe or provide optimal charging speeds.

TLDR; do i have to buy Samsung proprietary chargers to get the optimal charging speeds and if so, can I buy ones for the s7?

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
If this helps I have a anker QC 3.0 Speed powerbank and when charging the S8+, the phone does show fast charging like when using the stock charger. So I guess any QC 3.0 charger should also do fast charging.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I use the Samsung Official 2016 Fast Charger Desktop Stand for my s8.

If you perform a search there are some existing threads with lots of interesting information, advice and opinions in them.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been using this one and love the convienience of wireless charging :)

81vyW4FijCL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wire...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5804411

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Using an older Samsung version. Works just fine and charges fairly quick. I'm honestly not sure how I lived without wireless charging.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to the extent possible using the Samsung OEM wireless charging pads and wired charging. When using third party chargers, I make sure that my device is compatible. The Samsung wireless charging pad as well as the fast charging one that I got with my GS6 work just fine. I also have the Samsung fast car charger that I got for my GS7. I couldn't rationalize buying replacements when what I works just fine.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The charger from the S7edge is the same output as the one on the S8/S8+, so I use that & an Amazon Basics USB-C cable as my secondary charger.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I think the only time I use that port is for the data cable when hooking up to my mba.

I've always used wireless charging because it's just more convenient to place my phone onto the wireless charger.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I would go all wireless, but would need at least 3 or 4 more charging pads.

And it's still not as fast as wired charging, plus you can't use your phone with a wireless charger, while it's charging.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You can get wireless chargers that are in the phone case. Like the backpack from Samsung etc.
Wireless pads are cheap, just ordered one for $25, as I do agree, those ports are tight and daily pushing and pulling would be hard on the solder joints and pcb. Easy just to come home, put device on pad and sleep.
I also have a wireless pad in the centre console of the Jeep, I put the phone on that, shut the lid, with Bluetooth on I get maps, music, phone calls, texts via the Uconnect function in car. Never look at the phone while driving.

rchapman80

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have actually used Aukey Fast Charging block with Aukey USC-C cords. They work great and give you the same charge time as the stock Samsung. I even purchased the Fast Charge Q3 so I am supported with other phones in the future. They always have deals, I got 5 cables for $14.99 and each charging block (2) for $7.99 each. Today I have 2 Anker wireless charging pads so I can update here when I try them out.

One note is that Aukey supports their products for 24 months. I believe Anker is 18 or 24 also.

asadulhuq

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Best charger for your S8 is the charger came with the device. The samsung fast wall charger output voltage is 9 v for fast charging. The charger voltage reduces to 5 volts automatically after 60% of charging or so.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They're all basically the same, except for the amount of current at each voltage. (Even a phone with an Exynos SoC, if it's fast charging of any kind, will be using a Qualcom charging chip.) The quick chargers come in Qualcom 2, Qualcom 3 and (although I don't know if anyone's selling them yet) Qualcom 4. And in each of these configurations (which are back-compatible - you can charge a Qualcom 2 phone with a Qualcom 3 charger) there are different power levels. I've seen them running from 10 Watts (5 Volts at 2 Amps) to 46 Watts (20 Volts at 2.3 Amps), so I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend and how fast you want your phone charged.