What would cause my screen to turn on periodically?

dburr

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Just got my Samsung Moment and I LOVE this phone. Unfortunately I'm having a weird issue where, completely at random, my phone's screen turns on to the "screen locked, press MENU to unlock" screen for no apparent reason. (No notifications, no calendar alarms, nothing that would obviously cause the screen to turn on.) If I let it sit for 1 minute (my default "turn screen off after X minutes of inactivity" setting) the screen does indeed turn off.

I suspect that an application is causing this, though I have no idea which one. I do have quite a number of apps installed, including the usual array of social networking apps (Twidroid, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn) as well as many of the "must have" Android apps that people are talking about these days (Google Listen, an online radio app (A Online Radio I think), ShopSavvy and Barcode Reader, etc.)

Has anyone seen this behavior before on their Moment and can help me with a fix? This isn't a terribly serious problem as problems go, but it is annoying and I suppose the display constantly turning itself on and off periodically throughout the day could affect my battery life. Thanks!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
It's a hunch, but it could be the notification settings in one or more of your social networking apps. You may not have notifications, but your phone is checking for them.

dburr

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Mine just started doing that this morning...I'm wondering if it was one of the two task killers I installed.

Interesting. I too have a task killer installed. Which ones do you have? I was using "TasKiller Free" by Thibaut Nicolas. However just today I de-installed both that and Twidroid Pro, and switched to the new "Swift" twitter client and "Advanced Task Killer Free" by ReChild, and -- so far, knock on wood -- I haven't had the "screen turns itself on" issue yet. Not sure if one or both of those programs was the cause, only time will tell.

EDIT: it's been a couple hours, I've had the phone sitting next to me on the desk all evening, and so far I haven't noticed it doing the screen-turns-itself-on thing. I'm not gonna say anything is certain for fear of hexing myself, but...

EDIT #2: Haven't had the screen-turn-on thing happen in over 24 hours. Whether it was Twidroid Pro, TasKiller Free, or some other program/step I forgot about, something I did must have worked.

Last edited:

brianzedge

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
That's funny, I want to say that after I uninstalled "Advanced Task Killer Free" by ReChild and installed Advanced Task Manager by Arron La, I no longer saw the spontaneous turning on of the backlight. Oh well, as long as it works, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jermz1084