Whats better? Rooted Nookie or Galaxy S tab?

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so i have been thinking for a while that a nice tablet could be great to take around for daily use. Its awesome that the Nook is priced at $250 but i have never rooted any android device and never dabbled in roms. The Galaxy S tab looks ok, but $500 really isn't something i want to shell out (I only saw one on the VZW site so I don't know if it was Wifi only or not). Whats the best way to go?

MDPuckett84

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Rooting and roms aren't that difficult if you take the time to read threads closely. You also need to be willing to work on it a little bit to get it just right. Even once you do all that, it may not be perfect. That said, I've been using mine pretty regularly and manage to get by. Personally I'm considering going back to my iPad but that's a completely separate issue.

I haven't used a Tab for more than a minute or two at a store. But I think if I had the money and wanted something to use every day I'd probably just get the Tab. One thing on the Tab I'd like to have is the hardware buttons. The Nook makes up for a lack of these using Softkeys which works but not as smoothly. The Tab should also work right out of the box and be pretty stable

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind an iPad, but the thing is your paying for the apple name and you can't update your memory, you can only buy up. The S tab looks nice but its kind of pricey for a tablet with so-so reviews, but then again i wouldnt want to shell out $250 for the Nook that i might mess up or not necessarily happy with after it had been rooted. blaaaaaaah, don't know what to do :(

MDPuckett84

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Mainly I just want the iPad screen size back. I mostly used mine for reading and when I made the decision to go to a Nook I thought that surely it would do that task as good or better. What I failed to think about though is that almost all of my reading is PDF's which require a lot of zooming on the Nook's small screen to be legible. It can't increase PDF font size like it can with ebooks

I don't know your technical back ground but it seems pretty hard to screw up the nook. I've tried rooting the stock rom, nookie on SD, nookie internally and honeycomb on SD and to me nookie on SD was by far the best. If you go that route you can do it all with out modifying the stock image at all, pretty much a guarantee you won't make it a paperweight. It also would not void your warranty (I assume, since they'd have no way of knowing you did this)

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually since i posted this, i've been doing some heavy research on rooting, roms, different kernels etc. Its actually a lot like the stuff I do at work just on a different platform. Hmmm maybe a used nookie on ebay?

MDPuckett84

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, if you're debating on it I'd get a new one so you can return it if need be.

A linux background helped me a lot, though even if you dont have that the guides here seem to be pretty well written. Just read the comments all the way through so you know what to expect

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Use a galaxy tab regularly and own a rooted nookcolor, and for my uses there isn't mcuh the tab offers that my book won't do. It all comes down to what you are going to use it for. In my opinion, the biggest sell feature for the tab is the 3g modem. If you don't need that, then there isn't a clear advantage if you are willing to put in the effort on the nook.

Sent from my Monster Nookcolor via Tapatalk

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
The NookColor is by far the best $250 that I have spent in a long time! Rooting it only took about 20 minutes and that makes it pretty much an all out tablet. Well worth it.

Use a galaxy tab regularly and own a rooted nookcolor, and for my uses there isn't mcuh the tab offers that my book won't do. It all comes down to what you are going to use it for. In my opinion, the biggest sell feature for the tab is the 3g modem. If you don't need that, then there isn't a clear advantage if you are willing to put in the effort on the nook.

Off topic - but do you (or anybody else) have an issue where every time you open the forums using TapaTalk from the NC it makes you log in? It won't save my username or password like it does on my Incredible. I believe I have the most updated version of TapaTalk on both devices. :confused:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The Tab would be the overall better device but if your looking for something cheap go with the NC. I paid $425 for my SGT at Bestbuy as a open boxed item. It still had all the warranties so if for some reason I noticed something wasn't right I could still return it. No problems whatsoever with it. You might want to try the same. I'm running it on wifi only/rooted.. and if I ever want to in the future...I have the option to activate the carriers service.

sudhirkhanger

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I just tried Nook App on HC ported NC. I have to say i have had better reading experience on NC. What do you think of book reading on Tab? I find the stock ROM on NC is far better than their Nook App.

OP if you just want to do websurfing and book reading then go for Nook. But it is not a full blown Tablet.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Kind of hard to answer, like "Which is better, a Porsche, or a tricked out tuner car?" One comes from the factory designed to go fast and look pretty, the other is something that you have to put time, effort and tinkering into, but eventually will do pretty much everything the first can do. It's all a matter of preference and whether you want it out of the box, or DIY.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I was faced with the same choice and I went with the Nook Color. There lack of cameras, GPS and 3g mean very portly to me because my phone does all ofthay and I just don't need that on a tablet. For the price difference I think the Nook is a great value. I'm really opposed to paying for a data plan for a tablet but your mileage may very

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted nook color, and have read extensively about the galaxy tab, the biggest difference ive noticed is the lack of 3g and a camera, and with my rooted optmus s I fix the camera problem, and the internet problem with wireless hotspot. I can take a picture anywhere and put it in my dropbox, then view it on my nooks large screen to see if it came out ok. Besides, I have never been in a situation where I absolutely needed a 7 inch screen with access to the internet AND a camera, and at less than half the price of a galaxy tab, the extra minute it takes to turn on hotspot is well worth it.

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
The NookColor is by far the best $250 that I have spent in a long time! Rooting it only took about 20 minutes and that makes it pretty much an all out tablet. Well worth it.

Off topic - but do you (or anybody else) have an issue where every time you open the forums using TapaTalk from the NC it makes you log in? It won't save my username or password like it does on my Incredible. I believe I have the most updated version of TapaTalk on both devices. :confused:

Never had an issue with the login credentials, but did have problems with the market verification kicking out everynfew days

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I just tried Nook App on HC ported NC. I have to say i have had better reading experience on NC. What do you think of book reading on Tab? I find the stock ROM on NC is far better than their Nook App.

OP if you just want to do websurfing and book reading then go for Nook. But it is not a full blown Tablet.

The stock rom is better for reading, but that's what dual boot is for. Honeycomb for my tablet needs, stock for my reading ones

matt6x7

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Got my Tab a couple months ago and love it. I definitely appreciate 3G access, and the screen is beautiful. I bought the NC for my wife as an ereader last week (with the plan of turning it into a tablet). I've spent more time playing with the NC and have given her the Tab. With a bit of work, the NC will be a fairly decent substitute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidSmith420