What's the best-spec'ed android under $450, used or new?

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a budget of around $450 to get an android phone, and was initially thinking of the Note 10+ due to the 12g of RAM and 256g of storage, plus with security updates, it should be safe to use for at least two years (monthly then i'm assuming quarterly updates). I thought I would be okay with the Snapdragon 855 and 60hz refresh rate, but the more I look around, the more I realize that there are probably better specs on cheaper phones, esp if my expectations are only 2 years worth of secure use. Long story short, I'm looking for an android daily driver to replace my Pixel 3XL that can also emulate Gamecube, PSP, Saturn, Dreamcast and the DS.

So far, I think the best phone(s)...I will edit to update:
RealMe GT 2 Neo ($480ish on Amazon), since it has the same specs as the Note 10+, but with the Snapdragon 870G chipset, 120hz refresh rate and 5000Mah battery (cons: no expandable memory)

Blackshark 4 ($440 after $40 discount on Amazon). 8g RAM, 128g storage, 144hz display, pop-up shoulder buttons, 4500mAh battery (cons: no expandable memory, less memory than RealMe, questionable updates?)

Am I missing any other choices?

Last edited:

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yeah personally I think the Note 10+ is the best for this price point. I paid 690 mine last year from Samsung directly and I am quite happy with it. The S10+ is a really good device as well IMO, but it's kinda getting up there in age obviously being released 3 years ago.

If you have something to trade in, you could get a pretty decent deal from Samsung on a used/refurbished S20+. Trading in my Note 10+ to them with all discounts and after taxes and all that, it came out to around 450 which is not too bad at all considering that's still going to be supported for awhile and has a lot of good features. The standard S20 came out to 360 which is even better IMO, with a higher PPI so technically a sharper/better screen. Also, the LG V60 would be a really good option. You can find it on Swappa or Amazon for generally 300-400, sometimes even less than 300.

IMO the best budget phones are old flagships. I have actually been looking for a Note 9 new, which supposedly you can get on Ebay for around 300 dollars. That said, it won't be supported past August in terms of security patches, But I am not looking for a new main device anyways so I don't really care about that.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i'm sure i could get a better deal on eBay for most devices, but when i'm buying used, i really prefer amazon due to their 90 warranty on renewed devices. i mean, i can imagine getting something that works for a few weeks then craps out on me, and when we're talking hundreds of dollars, that would just mean i'm out that money. 90 days is a long time to make sure that whatever device you have is working in all the ways you want it to.

i used to have the Note 9, it's probably my favorite phone, esp with GCam making indoor shots not just possible, but beautiful.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
yeah, i'm sure i could get a better deal on eBay for most devices, but when i'm buying used, i really prefer amazon due to their 90 warranty on renewed devices. i mean, i can imagine getting something that works for a few weeks then craps out on me, and when we're talking hundreds of dollars, that would just mean i'm out that money. 90 days is a long time to make sure that whatever device you have is working in all the ways you want it to.

i used to have the Note 9, it's probably my favorite phone, esp with GCam making indoor shots not just possible, but beautiful.

Have you made a purchasing decision, OP?

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I went with the Note10+. No regrets...except that now they're going for a whole $100 cheaper than when I bought mine months ago. Oh well, that's the reward of patience, esp with tech =).

David Bowen1

May 14, 2022
Visit site
I'm stuck with the OnePlus 8T. I just can't move on. I love it and I don't see how I can do better. That's just my opinion. I'm stuck and hopefully I can move forward again some day.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm stuck with the OnePlus 8T. I just can't move on. I love it and I don't see how I can do better. That's just my opinion. I'm stuck and hopefully I can move forward again some day.
Welcome to AC!
If you like your device stay with it , at the end its what makes you happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC