When I connect my Incredible 2 via USB, I don't want a Verizon page to pop up.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
In the first few days of owning my Incredible 2, I plugged it in via USB. I got some kind generic message, can't remember if it was on the phone or on the computer, something about media, and just hit OK. I guess it installed something somewhere and now when I plug it into my computer via USB, some stupid Verizon page pops up every time. I don't want this. I don't care about or use their crapware or media services or syncing or whatever. Is there any way to uninstall/undo this scenario and not have it ask me each time and not have their page pop up?

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall the software from the computer. In the list of installed software look for anything related to media syncing or verizon. If that doesn't work plug the phone in, uninstall the software and try uninstalling the driver from the Computer Management page.

To be fair, it did prompt you if you wanted to install something and you hit yes.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall the software from the computer. In the list of installed software look for anything related to media syncing or verizon. If that doesn't work plug the phone in, uninstall the software and try uninstalling the driver from the Computer Management page.

To be fair, it did prompt you if you wanted to install something and you hit yes.

That's right I did. Whatever it was was pretty generic and sounded vaguely required like some kind of one time permissions/setup thing. I'd never knowingly install a crapware conduit. Just a hurried thing. I'll look for some kind of install when I home.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
OK turns out it was an easy fix. See the image below. There was a little system tray icon that appeared when I plugged in my phone that I had not noticed before, a red box with a white Verizon check mark in it.

Right click that and choose "Do not launch VCast Media Manager when I connect my phone."

jDdvm.png

By the way, the running process associated with that system tray icon is VMMModeSelection.exe. When I killed that, the icon disappeared. That .exe file lives in the C:\Program Files\HTC\ModeSelection folder. Seems fine to just leave that file alone once you've changed your selection, because it no longer launches the web page after that. But I suppose you could always disable it if you wanted to by fiddling with the file extension.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
OK turns out it was an easy fix. See the image below. There was a little system tray icon I had not noticed before, a red box with a white Verizon check mark in it. Right click that and choose "Do not launch VCast Media Manager when I connect my phone."

If you follow the instructions I posted, it will forever turn it off via the phone, so it will never pop up again, because it will if you connect to a different computer ;)

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
If you follow the instructions I posted, it will forever turn it off via the phone, so it will never pop up again, because it will if you connect to a different computer ;)

Your solution sounds like the more thorough one. I didn't do it because it sounded broader than just this process. I wasn't sure if that would hurt me down the road if I tried to do something else related. By then I'd have forgotten I even made that setting change and would be perplexed as to why I wasn't having success with whatever I was trying. I'm all set and only have the one computer I care about, but can you tell us for posterity what all that CD ROM setting governs aside from this function?

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It turns off the CD-ROM function on the device...just as simple as the the option is

Verizon has extended it's crap/bloatware to infect your PC and as you found out, pretty much forcing it on you each and every time you plug it in because it has an autorun in the CD-ROM that goes each time you plug it in

Changing that setting in the EPST, is another way to get rid of VZWs hold of the device :)

Reactions: deano131

deano131

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for showing us the EPST fix for the CD-Rom. I was getting just a bit annoyed everytime I plugged the dang thing into my PC.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It turns off the CD-ROM function on the device...just as simple as the the option is

Verizon has extended it's crap/bloatware to infect your PC and as you found out, pretty much forcing it on you each and every time you plug it in because it has an autorun in the CD-ROM that goes each time you plug it in

Changing that setting in the EPST, is another way to get rid of VZWs hold of the device :)

Well the reason I asked about your CD-ROM solution is that no CD is involved in this issue. I plug the phone into the computer via USB cable and it prompts this VCAST Media Manager web page to open on my computer, which wants me to download the VCAST Media Manager desktop application (or rather, this used to happen before I made the change I describe above). So I'm thinking, if I disable the CD-ROM function, it seems like it must cover more than just this issue of mine since mine doesn't even involve a CD. So what if down the road I want to do something that does involve a CD (I can't imagine what)? All I'm saying is that even if your solution works, which I trust it does, I'm unclear what my issue has to do with CD-ROMs. Is it that this software they're pushing also lives on some CD-ROM somewhere that I don't have? Something else?

jeffnucci

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
what pops up on your computer is an .iso image off your phone. Same thing as a CDROM. When you disable the cd you disable the phone popping up the bloatware.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
You can go further and ensure it never starts up with your computer by typing msconfig into the run/search box. Click on the "Start Up" tab and look to make sure it's not set as service/program to launch at boot.

tejasbullet

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Lowfire, I also want to say thanks for the permanent fix to the setting in the EPST.
Then, I want to tell you that, just because you are well versed on the topic, you don't need to get short or ****ty with someone who has questions about a process. Had I been the first one to pose this question and receive your reply, I would also have asked what else such a change might effect.
Two things are envolved here: I (and apparently the poser of the question) am not typical sheep who do things simply because others do, or simply because one professes to know all of what is best.
Second, while you may not try to be ****ty, you come off as such, hopefully, only because this process comes as second nature to you.
I hope that, if you ever need a question answered, someone does not bite your head off and treat you as you treated the poser of the question here.
Stated more bluntly, whether you intended to or not, and regardless that your answer works, you come off as a pompous, know-it-all ****.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke