where the hell is Nougat???

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I have been a frequent complainer about not getting it, but I don't care. I have the US unlocked version and only got it because I swore Samsung said they would push out uodates more frequently. Then the Note 7 happened and it seemed like they dropped the ball from there. Is there any rhyme or reason to the release pattern? Do all 4 major carriers have to get it before we do? This is my last Galaxy phone. I feel like I've been burnt (no note 7 joke intended)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As someone who actively beta tested new releases in the past I can tell you updates and upgrades go through rigorous testing before they get released to the testers and if successful after a couple of weeks they get rolled out to the public. We would all like to have the latest and greatest, however I would rather have something that works as opposed to something that gets rushed out that isn't ready for prime time.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree with getting something that works well, but they have pushed N out to carriers and seems to be stable now, Google pushes out monthly updates and Samsung hasnt done that either, even though they said that they would. Unlocked phones should have had it by now, unless there is some contractual obligation that says they cant. Samsung has already approved it and they only have to be pleased with it themselves on the unlocked phones, so you point makes little sense.

kiama_2533

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Just arrived in Australia and will see how it all goes, the change of how everything looks is the first obvious noticeable thing.
When loading it the phone was glowing hot figuratively speaking.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Girlfriend troubles? :D
See what complaining gets you? Nothing, at, all. Nada. Just wait like the rest of us.
All you're going to do is get gray hair early.

I'm just spoiled. I switch phones a lot and I've had 2 with Nougat already and sold them. I almost went back to Pixel, but I love this S7. You're right. Going to have to wait. Waaahhh.

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
As someone who actively beta tested new releases in the past I can tell you updates and upgrades go through rigorous testing before they get released to the testers and if successful after a couple of weeks they get rolled out to the public. We would all like to have the latest and greatest, however I would rather have something that works as opposed to something that gets rushed out that isn't ready for prime time.
Ahh yes, like that time last October when, after my galaxy note 4 got an update, it started overheating and restarting, and was pretty much unusable. Trust me with Samsung, you better hope they are testing the updates. The note 4 was the last time I bought Samsung anything.

Psuboy

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I abandoned ShamSung a long time ago. They have nice hardware and I miss not being able to pop in an SD card but they stop writing updates for their phones after the first year and they are very slow to push updates. I also hated the bloatware and, for the most part, changes they made to the OS. I run a Nexus 6 now and am awaiting a Pixel XL delivery in a few weeks. I get the updates very quickly after they come out and keep my phones till they start getting slow. 2 or three years normally.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what's up with the US unlocked models.

The carrier versions and the international models have received their OS updates for a while already.

Usually, the unlocked versions get the update first. Seems to be the reverse in this case.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

The carrier versions and the international models have received their OS updates for a while already.

Usually, the unlocked versions get the update first. Seems to be the reverse in this case.

I just saw a reply in the Samsung Community pages that says it is coming, just a work in progress, but that Samsung is aware of the demand and is working diligently.... Blah blah blah

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Usually. Sure.

But it's up to the OEM and any carriers involved on priority.

Just because it may be "easier" to update the unlocked model, it doesn't guarantee anything.

NNtoxic

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I have a galaxy s7 edge bought in the UAE bue it did not received the nougat update yet.
I live in Portugal, do I have to wait till the update reach portugal by OTA?
The codes are the following:
klme584fr

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am on Sprint and just got the update last night. I did the manual test on it and it took about 30 minutes all together to get it situated.
I dont mind it at all.

Clean.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I got it and it's a real mixed bag. There's some nice improvements and a lot of just plain inexplicably bad changes that don't help anything. Plus, my battery usage increased noticeably.