Which Is Better XSA or Carrier?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. I am after opinions on which is better between XSA software or software from carriers. I have had software from a different countries carrier on my phone while waiting for 5.1.1 to be released in Australia. It has since been released in Australia so obviously I want to download it as my phone will work better with software from my own country. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using the XSA software and if there is any benefit using it ahead of carriers software and what the benefits are from using either

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, the only thing i can think that will be a benefit using the XSA firmware is faster updates. I don't know about how Telstra is in relation to bloatware but if they are as bad as the US carriers there you may have another benefit.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, the only thing i can think that will be a benefit using the XSA firmware is faster updates. I don't know about how Telstra is in relation to bloatware but if they are as bad as the US carriers there you may have another benefit.

My battery life hasn't been as good since I downloaded the Indian firmware which is the main reason why I'm looking to download firmware from Australia. My thinking is maybe Australian firmware will work better on Australian devices. I found it interesting that there is four different updates listed under XSA on Sammobile as opposed to two under Telstra. I guess updates for XSA are more frequent.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My battery life hasn't been as good since I downloaded the Indian firmware which is the main reason why I'm looking to download firmware from Australia. My thinking is maybe Australian firmware will work better on Australian devices. I found it interesting that there is four different updates listed under XSA on Sammobile as opposed to two under Telstra. I guess updates for XSA are more frequent.

Remember that you can always try one and if you don't like you can go back to the other, obviously that will be a pain needing to set everything again and again, but at least you know that you have the option.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Remember that you can always try one and if you don't like you can go back to the other, obviously that will be a pain needing to set everything again and again, but at least you know that you have the option.

So true and thank goodness for smart switch so I can backup everything before I factory reset. I'm just curious to see if my battery life will go back to what it was if I go back to using Australian firmware

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So true and thank goodness for smart switch so I can backup everything before I factory reset. I'm just curious to see if my battery life will go back to what it was if I go back to using Australian firmware

Well to be honest, my battery life on 5.1.1 has never been the same it was on 5.0.2, in both the T-Mobile S6 edge and the SM-G920i unlocked I sold last month, both showed the same behavior, after 5.1.1, Android System battery drain increased a little and I've never found the reason of it. I'm still getting very good battery life on the S6 edge but not as good as before.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Well to be honest, my battery life on 5.1.1 has never been the same it was on 5.0.2, in both the T-Mobile S6 edge and the SM-G920i unlocked I sold last month, both showed the same behavior, after 5.1.1, Android System battery drain increased a little and I've never found the reason of it. I'm still getting very good battery life on the S6 edge but not as good as before.

There's no harm to try and see what will happen once I'm on Australian software

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Erasat do I factory reset the phone before flashing the new software or only after?

I'd do it before and after, it doesn't really matter, but just to be sure. We saw the last time that it doesn't change the CSC (Region Code) until the Factory reset so you must do it anyways after you flash the Australian firmware, but just to be sure do it twice, anyways, it just takes a couple of seconds to do it.

Last edited:

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I'd do it before and after, it really doesn't matter, but just to be sure. We saw the last time that it doesn't change the CSC (Region Code) until the Factory reset so you must do it anyways after you flash the Australian firmware, but just to be sure do it twice, anyways, it just takes a couple of seconds to do it.

Thanks erasat. You are my free tech support xd.

Weyo is back to no longer being in the free section so I guess I will be going back to material dark. I wish when you used smart network switch to back up your data it backed up your settings and themes too -__-

Last edited:

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the Telstra 5.1.1 , in my opinion it is a little worse on battery than the previous firmware. One thing I did notice is that my reception actually got worse, so I have to leave it on 3g so I don't miss calls, but that could be Telstra's fault.

dreaming of electric sheep

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the Telstra 5.1.1 , in my opinion it is a little worse on battery than the previous firmware. One thing I did notice is that my reception actually got worse, so I have to leave it on 3g so I don't miss calls, but that could be Telstra's fault.

Thank you for the heads up. Guess it's a good thing I downloaded the XSA firmware xd. I'll be interested to see what issues if any I find

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I hope that this is the correct firmware as it's the one I have downloaded:

XSA download:
Phone Galaxy S6

Model SM-G920I

PDA Version G920IDVU2COGA

CSC Version G920IXSA2COGA

PHONE Version G920IDVU2COGA

Region XSA

Country Australia

Build Date 28.07.2015

Changelist 5499188

OS Lollipop

OS Version 5.1.1

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
So when I took my phone off the charger it became 93% how do you recalibrate the battery after an update? Do I drain the battery and then fully charge it?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So when I took my phone off the charger it became 93% how do you recalibrate the battery after an update? Do I drain the battery and then fully charge it?

I have read something about it and it sounds to be by doing just that. Don't drain it to 0, maybe through 5% or something. Try it, good luck.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

Yeh, that happened to me after updating. After 2 days it just resolved itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood