Which is worse? HTC keeping 4mp camera or Samsung keeping plastic design?

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Which is worse htc keeping 4mp or Samsung keeping plastic design?

I think Samsung keeping the atrocious design is much worse.

I rarely look at the back of my phone with great attention. I DO look at what the camera produces with great attention, always!
A plastic back is the lightest weight solution. And it does exactly what it is supposed to.
A lousy image quality is unacceptable in 2014.

If you think 'style & design' are the most important attributes of a smartphone, get an iPhone.
If you think capability and versatility are the most important attributes of a smartphone, get a Samsung. Or at least an Android.

nedia_r

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I rarely look at the back of my phone with great attention. I DO look at what the camera produces with great attention, always!
A plastic back is the lightest weight solution. And it does exactly what it is supposed to.
A lousy image quality is unacceptable in 2014.

If you think 'style & design' are the most important attributes of a smartphone, get an iPhone.
If you think capability and versatility are the most important attributes of a smartphone, get a Samsung. Or at least an Android.

Some people just can't appreciate good design. That's ok though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Plastic never bothered me because I use a case. I can't speak for the one, but on my wife's 5s,the area near the charging port sees some marring from when I insert the charger into my wife's charging port on the 5s. Now the one might not have this problem, I am just speaking of metal phones in general. My note 3 charging port area still looks brand new.

I haven't used the one camera or similar so cannot comment there

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Not upgrading the camera is a bigger fault. There isn't a lot of room left for major improvements these days.... there's really only two options; camera and battery life/consumption. HTC totally whiffed on the camera... Sure, they gussied it up with some software gimmicks, but I've read a few reviews that that variable focus thing has some problems with focusing and filtering... but still, there was room for major improvement and they missed the mark.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: U rather have s5 plastic design over htc 4mp or vice versa?

Plastic and a small case and a removable battery All Day over the HTC.
Don't forget water resistant.

Peace

Posted via Android Central App

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I think I will take plastic with nice case over 4mp camera that can't be upgraded

Posted via Android Central App

I have a HTC one m7, and if it wasn't for the camera I would get the m8, but because of that I would have to go for something different.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

For me, NOTHING is worth living with a 4mp shooter. The M8 could cook bacon for all I care -- I'd never buy a phone with a 4mp camera. Not unless I got in a time machine and went back to 2004.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Pretty easy to replace the back cover to suit your style. I can't put a better camera into a device.

tarpon6

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I prefer a plastic phone. It will be lighter, allow wireless charging, and stand up to abuse. Most of us put our phone in a case anyway..

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Which one is worse in your opinion as a customer...I will rather plastic design and great camera then 4mp camera
4MP.

The case does not affect the actual functionality of the phone, and you can always buy another case for the phone. But you can't upgrade the camera.

That being said, the 4MP thing is largely overrated IMO. I would be more concerned about quality (noise, low-light performance, ect). And from what I have seen so far, the M8 has excellent quality.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I like the camera on my One and I don't mind the plastic of the Galaxy phones. It's about choices man

Last thing I'd like to see is all manufacturers making the same phones with their logo on it

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

stlcards504

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

I might be in the minority, but I could really give a hoot about the camera that comes on a phone. I take so few pictures with my phone good camera/bad camera, I won't really know the difference. Plus, we have Nokia Windows phones through my work and the camera on that is pretty good so if I have to have a great picture, I'll use that one.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I use my phone as my primary photo device simply because of convenience as I always have it with me. I take hundreds of pics with my phone and the camera quality is one of the top selling points for me. S5 all the way.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

For me, NOTHING is worth living with a 4mp shooter. The M8 could cook bacon for all I care -- I'd never buy a phone with a 4mp camera. Not unless I got in a time machine and went back to 2004.

Idk...If the M8 could cook bacon I might over look the camera. :p

Darthstorm528

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site

Absolutely the 4MP, most phones are going 8mp or higher. I just got the Galaxy S4, I don't care about the plastic, it's not a major deal and I'm going to use a case anyways

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't say it's the same camera exactly, the refocusing stuff is a nice addition. Plus you shouldn't concentrate on 300 mAhs more battery, it's not all about the size. The battery life on the new One is far better, if their claims are correct.

I think Samsung keeping the atrocious design is much worse.

Ok I said same camera, which it might as well be, but essentially the same. Before the reviews I was kind of hoping that the duel camera was going to be something like a high MP for those good light, perfect condition shots and a UP for those low light less than ideal conditions. As for the battery size. In a way I agree it's not all about the size, but in a way it is. Software helps but it can't do it all. Look at the Droid Razr Maxx. When they released the Razr the battery was 1780 when they rereleased it as the Razr Maxx it was 3300. Even with the increased size they still added all kinds of software tweaks to try and give it just a little added better performance, so if size didn't matter they could have just dropped in the software updates and not touched the battery at all. My other point in all of this is the Razr Maxx isn't as thick as the One and it's 700 to 1000 mAhs more than either of the Ones, and you're telling me that they couldn't have upped it a bit more?

Motorola RAZR MAXX vs HTC One (M8) vs HTC One - Phone specs comparison

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Also remember: you can replace the plastic back on the GS5 with a metal one when the metal backs become available.