Which phone should I get the Sony Xperia Z3 or Oneplus One?

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sony Xperia Z3 or Oneplus One

These are the 2 phones I'm debating over right now myself. I managed to get a OnePlus One invite so I ordered the phone and just got it yesterday. I also have an Z3 set to arrive on Saturday. I figure I'll compare them side by side for a few days and make my decision.

It seems that performance and battery life should be comparable on these 2 phones. One of my biggest gripes about Android phones in general is that the cameras almost always seem to be substandard for my use. I don't take many pictures of nice still landscapes. I have 2 young boys that are constantly running around so I feel like I'm always struggling to get clear pics of them. I'm hoping one of these 2 phones will be able to handle that better than Android phones I've used in the past. So far the OPO doesn't seem to be much faster at capturing pics than my Nexus.

I have a feeling I will like the Z3 size better, though the OPO isn't as hard to use as I was expecting. I really like how customizable Cyanogen has made the software on the OPO. It seems like you can change anything and everything on there. I'm curious how I will like Sony's software. I've never used a Sony phone before.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these 2 phones? I think for me it will come down to which one I like the camera better on.

KarlDag

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

These are the 2 phones I'm debating over right now myself. I managed to get a OnePlus One invite so I ordered the phone and just got it yesterday. I also have an Z3 set to arrive on Saturday. I figure I'll compare them side by side for a few days and make my decision.

It seems that performance and battery life should be comparable on these 2 phones. One of my biggest gripes about Android phones in general is that the cameras almost always seem to be substandard for my use. I don't take many pictures of nice still landscapes. I have 2 young boys that are constantly running around so I feel like I'm always struggling to get clear pics of them. I'm hoping one of these 2 phones will be able to handle that better than Android phones I've used in the past. So far the OPO doesn't seem to be much faster at capturing pics than my Nexus.

I have a feeling I will like the Z3 size better, though the OPO isn't as hard to use as I was expecting. I really like how customizable Cyanogen has made the software on the OPO. It seems like you can change anything and everything on there. I'm curious how I will like Sony's software. I've never used a Sony phone before.

Anyone else have any thoughts on these 2 phones? I think for me it will come down to which one I like the camera better on.

You've basically summed up everything I had to say. I need fast shutter for my moving children, and android phones so far aren'T on the iphone's level.. I'm hoping lollipop's new APIs allow that to improve. I tend to think that Sony has way more experience making cameras, to with the new APIs they should do something great, while Cyanogen Inc. has barely any experience in any of this... I also like that I can root the OPO and change ROMs and not lost anything, while on the Z3 I'D lose some camera algorithms and PS4 remote play etc.

Also, the Z3 would require me to take a new 2 years contract while the OPO I'd buy outright.

On the other hand, Z3 seems to have a better camera (don't know if it's shutter is faster though), high quality audio, PS4 remote play and a nicer size IMO. They are also a known brand that provides customer service, while OnePlus doesn't RMA it's defective devices too easily.

Still undecided.

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

So far in my few days using the OPO I find myself leaning toward that Z3. The OPO is a nice phone, but there seem to be little things that are a little buggy. For example, when I first turn the screen on, it seems like more times than not the first touch of the screen is not registered. This keeps causing me to enter my PIN wrong the first time. Also, I've had 2 times where the camera has force closed. Last, the camera isn't all that impressive to me. Indoor shots where my wife's iPhone is able to take good pictures, the OPO turns out very noisy shots. I had my kids out at the park today and took some pics there too. While the shutter speed was great while outside in sunlight, the pictures had more noise than I expected. I am supposed to be getting the Z3 in the mail tomorrow. I am really hoping the camera is better than the OPO because right now I don't think I'll be keeping the OPO.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Battery life is a big deal too. I am in love with my Z3 because of it. The battery life has changed how I use my phone. I never turn off data or GPS as there's no need. I watch hours of TV shows a day on my phone during my commute and lunch break. And the battery is still about 30-40% when I plug it in at night. I love the camera but my last phone was a purple tinted HTC one m7 so anything would be better 😉

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

So far in my few days using the OPO I find myself leaning toward that Z3. The OPO is a nice phone, but there seem to be little things that are a little buggy. For example, when I first turn the screen on, it seems like more times than not the first touch of the screen is not registered. This keeps causing me to enter my PIN wrong the first time. Also, I've had 2 times where the camera has force closed. Last, the camera isn't all that impressive to me. Indoor shots where my wife's iPhone is able to take good pictures, the OPO turns out very noisy shots. I had my kids out at the park today and took some pics there too. While the shutter speed was great while outside in sunlight, the pictures had more noise than I expected. I am supposed to be getting the Z3 in the mail tomorrow. I am really hoping the camera is better than the OPO because right now I don't think I'll be keeping the OPO.

Which did you end up siding with?

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Which did you end up siding with?

I ended up going with the OnePlus One. I really wanted my choice to be the Z3 but the camera was SO slow at taking pictures that it was almost impossible for me to get a non-blurry picture of my kids. The OPO has its bugs, but for the price, it really is a great phone.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I ended up going with the OnePlus One. I really wanted my choice to be the Z3 but the camera was SO slow at taking pictures that it was almost impossible for me to get a non-blurry picture of my kids. The OPO has its bugs, but for the price, it really is a great phone.
Sweet, I was just under the same dilemma myself.

wfor1pilot

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Can you do a "small" review of you experience of to two phones: Battery life, photo quality, responsiveness (boot times), call quality, speaker quality, screen / image quality; etc ? -Davis

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

My wife needed to upgrade her phone. She was stoked that she was finally going to get an iPhone, because iPhone cameras are said to be so great and everything, but she saw pictures taken on a friend's iPhone 6 and hated them. After looking at different reviews, she decided to try a Z3, because a good camera was her main focus, and she loves it. The camera has a bit of a learning curve, but so does every other camera I've used.

This is my long winded way of saying camera quality is very subjective. I have a G3, and I don't really notice an incredible difference in speed for my camera use. There are aspects of the Z3 camera I like more than the G3, as well as integrated apps that I like more. The Z3's integrated mail app kills the G3's, for example.

Having a chance to play with both phones also showed me there's a clear difference in design philosophy I'm sure would stand out even more if I used more phones. I can take the same picture with her Z and my G, without any editing and her photo will be warmer while mine will frame more tightly around the subject for example; that's just a small example.

So anyone interested in a phone camera needs to just use the actual camera, because there's no telling how badly an "awesome" camera might suck in your opinion.

T-Mobile G3

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I've had a Z3, and the reason I'm so fond of it is that it seems to have less to fix that a lot of other phones I've used.

It does have a few drawbacks - for starters, it looks and feels amazing in the hand, but - for me at least - is far to 'glassy' to not have a decent case. The camera is excellent, but does sometimes need to be tinkered with to get a good shot in certain circumstances as others have stated above. It's not stock Android, but the Sony skin is far lighter and unobtrusive than others.

Other phones to me just seem to have drawbacks that can't be fixed or just overlooked (personally - M8's camera, Samsung Touchwiz/materials, G3's battery life - or lack of it). Hopefully the Z4 will be even nearer my ideal phone.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Lol I just switched from the Oneplus One to the Z3. And not because anything was wrong with the Oneplus, but because I like trying different phones.

The Oneplus was an awesome phone, and even running CM12 nightlies worked well. I didn't like the stock camera app though so I just used the Google Camera instead. The photos I took on the OPO were good but not great, although when backed up and auto adjusted on Google+ they looked pretty good. The G3 I had before that took much better photos.

tim2000s

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Having had a Z3 for 5 months, and then had an accident which resulted in a massive smashed screen which had to be sent off for fixing, I bought a OnePlus One to use in the interim.

I had concerns that it would just be too big, but I've been surprised that it doesn't feel as large as I was expecting. It works just as well as the Z3, and thanks to the texture of the back, I dont' feel as though I am constantly going to drop the thing.

Radio wise, I've found the mobile signal to be as good as, if not better than the Z3 (although not quite as good as a Nokia 830).

The Camera IQ isn't as good as the Z3 (although it is a Sony Exmor sensor) but seems to focus lock more quickly, all be it not always on the correct thing. In low light, the Sony software definitely produces better images.

The larger screen on the OPO doesn't feel as much bigger than the Z3 as it is, which is good design on the OPO part. I've also found that in terms of battery life, the OPO has been getting a good 1.3 days, which isn't as good as the Z3, but is more than good enough given the way I charge.

The Cyanogen Mod launcher is the first that I haven't reskinned when I've got a new phone and works well for me.

Which is better? It depends on what you want. At the price, I'd say that the OPO is probably the winner. You can buy two for the price of the Sony and still do everything that the Z3 does. Does the battery last as long? No. Is the screen as good? Yes. Does the radio set-up work? Yes. Is the version of Android better? Yes.

It's very much horses for courses, but I am probably going to sell my Z3 when it comes back from the repair shop. I like the OPO that much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billybouwer6