Who gives anyone the right to force updates on phones not owned by them?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I paid $700 for my phone and whenever there is an update I am forced to accept it. Who gives anyone that right. They take things off your phone that you like and put on whatever they want. This is my phone not theirs my frequently called contacts are gone along with many other things I used to enjoy on this phone

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The contract you sign with your carriers specifically states that the software in your phone is still their property and they can modify it without prior warnings.
So yes the phone is yours, but the software on it is still theirs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The contract you sign with your carriers specifically states that the software in your phone is still their property and they can modify it without prior warnings.
So yes the phone is yours, but the software on it is still theirs.

I don't have an issue with forced updates, but how does that technically apply to carrier unlocked models? I guess you agree to updates while on their system as opposed to them actually owning the software.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you insist on not getting updates (which is part of the warranty - the phone must be on the latest update to maintain the warranty), just root it. Even if you don't disable (or uninstall) the update software, updates will fail without being installed. But, aside from a few manufacturers, that voids the warranty (as does not having the latest update installed).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca