Who uses NFC? And a quick Q re: G-Wallet

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Title says (most of it). Who uses NFC, and if so, what do you use it for most often?

Re: G-wallet - so I still have about $2 left on my prepaid card from Google, and I'm wondering if I HAVE to use the exact amount to use the rest of it up, or can I simply swipe the phone for the remaining amount, and then use my card/cash for the rest of the bill. I tried to do the latter at McD's the other day and it just wouldn't work.

I fear it won't work unless the amount is equal or lesser than the amount left in the account, and that worries me because it seems you'll always have an unused balance unless you magically spend an exact amount to zero out the balance.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't know about the balance thing, but I only use NFC for Wallet so far. Haven't done anything with tags, though it looks cool... just not cool enough for me to invest any time in.

OhhhSnapSir

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Do most of you have a rooted Nexus to run Google Wallet? I want to ditch the physical wallet but VSW has really messed that up for me. Ive had mine for a week and the and the google wallet was a selling point until i saw it wasnt compatible for mine.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have tags set up in my car, work and at home, but honestly...I just never use them anymore. Ever since rooting, it takes me as much time to change wifi of/on, silence of/on and bluetooth of/on using toggles in the status bar.

All my other settings stay the same for the most part.

Last edited:

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Not me. Both of android devices are grayed out. Weird.

You can't DL google wallet from the store directly but if you DL the apk file from the web it installs and works no problem on a stock VZ G Nex

[APP] Google Wallet (APK: 1.1-R57v5, Play Store: 1.1-R57v5) [09/03/2012] - xda-developers

as for the NFC tags I have been curious to buy some but can't think of any practical uses. If anything it would be sort of novel but let me know if you have any suggestions.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You can't DL google wallet from the store directly but if you DL the apk file from the web it installs and works no problem on a stock VZ G Nex

[APP] Google Wallet (APK: 1.1-R57v5, Play Store: 1.1-R57v5) [09/03/2012] - xda-developers

as for the NFC tags I have been curious to buy some but can't think of any practical uses. If anything it would be sort of novel but let me know if you have any suggestions.

A friend of mine uses it to automate profile switches. He has a tag in his car one at work and one at home. So he doesn't have to turn off wifi, bluetooth, etc.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine uses it to automate profile switches. He has a tag in his car one at work and one at home. So he doesn't have to turn off wifi, bluetooth, etc.

i wish they would make it be able to toggle your preferred net work from 4g to 3g and back. That would be the best for me to put my phone in "weekend mode" to make my battery last until i get home from the bars

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just use NFC for google wallet which I have added funds to twice.The only place I used it was McD's.
If I had 2 dollars left on it and wanted to end up with a zero balance I would just get somethings off the dollar menu and pay the tax part off with the few more cents that would take to complete the transaction out of pocket.
I havent done that yet tho .Still have 30.00 on mine. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

yugopalmguy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used the Google wallet, but only the $10 they gave me so far. You can use it to pay for items over the balance left on the card. I used it at CVS to pay for $15 worth of merchandise and it worked perfectly, using the $10 from Google and I paid the rest in cash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've used Wallet on a couple vending machines but haven't had much more opportunity. I wish they'd expand the number of compatible cards, but by the time that happens the carriers will have their wallet solution out the door and Google Wallet will be pushed to the wayside.

I still don't know anybody with an NFC phone (which should change in the future as more phones come with it standard), so I haven't been able to use Android Beam yet.

zentiques

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Vz GNex with Google Wallet since February, runs smoothly, easily loads cash from my PP account. Within a half mile, my local 7/11 and proprietary grocery store have fully functioning PayPass readers. Never an issue at McDonald's, aside from foregoing the drive thru. Petco is probably the fastest, most seamless integration I've used to date. UHaul has a reader but still working on integrating. Rewards card at AE read without a problem. Old Navy, where installed, no problem. GAP was smooth, with a bonus, getting a tech behind the register who could hold a discussion about it. Refreshing compared to the general population which range from the wide eyed, to the mildly interested, to the completely clueless. PayPass Locater is a handy app, just keep your eyes open, more and more retailers keep adding readers. And, it IS faster than cash or cards.Problem is, the system works too well, especially on this phone/network combination (HTC / Sprint looks like a different game) that it's so far ahead and fully functional, the other consortiums are scared and trying hard to put the brakes on it.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Title says (most of it). Who uses NFC, and if so, what do you use it for most often?

Re: G-wallet - so I still have about $2 left on my prepaid card from Google, and I'm wondering if I HAVE to use the exact amount to use the rest of it up, or can I simply swipe the phone for the remaining amount, and then use my card/cash for the rest of the bill. I tried to do the latter at McD's the other day and it just wouldn't work.

I fear it won't work unless the amount is equal or lesser than the amount left in the account, and that worries me because it seems you'll always have an unused balance unless you magically spend an exact amount to zero out the balance.

It depends on the store. Some store will allow you to do a split payment and some won't. Ask the cashier before you pay because they may have to enter it differently. Just tell them you have a prepaid card with $2 left on it, and ask if you can use it and pay the rest in cash. (I know for a fact that Toys-R-Us and Babies-R-Us do this.)

MrStylz

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a bunch of cheap tags from tagstand.com. We use them your various tasks like auto messaging when the kids are dropped off, profile switching as we come and go from the house, etc. for the price and ease, it is a nifty tool. I use the app NFC Task Launcher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yessica8yessica