Why are notifications implemented in the worst way possible?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Okay, so why when I get a notification on my phone (Pixel 4a, but also on every Android phone I have ever owned) it shows up on my lock screen for about a second, just long enough for me to attempt to pick up my phone to try and read it, , but not long enough to actually read it? This seems pretty useless to me, if they don't want you to read the notification without searching for it through the notification drop-down area, then just make a notification sound and be done with it?

Why can't I adjust the lock screen notification to stay up 5 or 10 seconds so I can actually see what it is and decide if it's important enough to open my phone and go searching through the notification drop-down (another 'feature' that seems to have been designed as a side-project of an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of typewriters attempting to randomly bring the works of Shakespeare into existence) and deal with it?

Or maybe there is a way to adjust how notifications work so they are not so damn annoying and time-wasting and I'm just a moron who hasn't figured it out yet?

Anyone have any hints or suggestions?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

I can't speak for the Pixel but on both my HTC and now on my Samsung, my lock screen notifications have a "security level" that can be set and adjusted. On the lowest level I not only get fuller text pertaining to the notification but I can also open the notification shade from the lock screen to read some or most of notification. I think it does cut off after so many characters even on the lowest setting. On the highest setting I think all you can see is that there is a notification. No matter anyway you set it, there is no interaction with the notification from the lock screen. I can't open and reply to a text without unlocking the phone.

There are probably additional notification settings in the your different apps that you should check as well. With Google Messages there are a ton of options, including individual behavior for individual contacts.

If AOD is an option for you there are probably even more options. I don't use Always On Display so I really don't know a whole lot about it.

With a third party launcher, like Nova, you might be able to adjust the time a notification is displayed but that is another product that I don't use.

To reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave comments please register an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying that the lockscreen notification disappears as if it's been dismissed, even if you didn't dismiss it yourself? Or are you saying the screen fades out too quickly for you to read the notification?

On all of my Android devices (Pixel phones and Lenovo tablets), lockscreen notifications remain until I dismiss them myself. Are there specific apps where this happens, or is it for all apps?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like you have something else going on with your device OP , you use AOD ? The notification should stay there until u swipe them away ,you can register with link so we can try help you .

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Try Notification Widget and you will have notifications on homescreen. I think it will be more comfortable and clearer for you.

The OP has not responded to any of the earlier help offered, nor answered any of the questions posed, so don’t expect a response to yours either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc