Why are someone else's searches showing up on my phone?

A

AC Question

When I touch my Google search bar, I get searches made by others as a suggestion - screenshot: image.prntscr.com/image/ae46fbae1c9643e8baa44fbad152070d.jpeg

Items already checked:

It's often suggested it's a Chrome history sync from another computer I'm likely logged into, so I logged into my Chrome (I normally use Ffox) and checked my history there. The entries from my phone aren't showing up.

It's also suggested that someone else has access to one of my computers. My PC is password-protected and set to require it after 5 minutes of inactivity. I am the only one that knows it and it's a 12+ character-long random password that looks something like "$Hf9F^bs9f@!" (no, not an actual password, but equally strong, and equally meaningless). Not to mention that nothing shows up in history here either.

My phone has a lock, and is always on my person (anyone else here who hates using "my person" term?). No one has access to my phone without my permission, and no one that I ever handed my phone (to show stupid pictures or whatever) performed those searches.

I don't use phone tethering, and I don't let others tether to it. Last time I let someone do that on my phone, the dirty effer ran a torrent and he sucked my entire plan dry in an hour (later I found out he was also sleeping with my now-ex, but that wtf is another story altogether).

Last night I installed an app from Google Play that my AVG immediately flagged as potential unwanted app, so I uninstalled it right away. For an app whose function is a remote mouse, it does require excessive permissions. I guess red flags should have gone up when DNA + a stool sample was required (screenshot of actual permissions: image.prntscr.com/image/5b4302d09aba43b78f41befc51ced2b3.jpeg ). Some botnets do indeed use "legit" apps on Google Play - could this be a result of one that snuck past me?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to history.google.com/history (while logged into your Google account). Do you see that search history there?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, those are trending searches. There have been numerous complaints about this. See this thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/FfSE0mP1qyo

One thing to try is to uninstall all updates for the Google app, then see if the trending searches persist. If not, then reupdate the Google app, and see if they come back.

My Google app is up to date, and I never see those trending searches. I wonder if it's some experimental or pilot "feature" that they've rolled out to certain people. Hopefully they get the message that it's not very popular at all.:-\

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte19