Why can't I use the Full Screen mode on such a massive phone?

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm still trying to get used to how gigantic this phone is, every time I look at it. I only have a couple days left before I can return it, so I'm trying to find reasons to love the huge, self-indulgent screen.

I watch alot of YouTube and I thought, that massive screen would be perfect for videos!
But no, it doesn't let you use that extra-large screen for that. What??

I go to;
Settings
Display
Advanced
Full Screen
and tap the slider next to YouTube to "on".
Then go to YouTube and tap the full screen icon on the video but instead of a full screen, it just reverts the image from landscape back to portrait.
You simply cannot utilize the BIGGEST feature of this phone.

It's the kind of thing that invokes madness.

Note:
I have a Motorola Edge 5G UW. I'm here on the Edge+ forum because there's nowhere else to go.
Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about having black bars on the sides of the video? That phone has a 19.5:9 screen ratio, and since most videos are 16:9, there will always be unused space on the sides (if you want to see everything in the frame). If you magnified the video to fill the entire screen, you'd cut off the top and bottom of the frame (unless you just stretch the image horizontally, which would look terrible).

To fill the entire screen (and cut off the top and bottom of the frame), try using a pinch-to-zoom gesture.

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Are you talking about having black bars on the sides of the video? That phone has a 19.5:9 screen ratio, and since most videos are 16:9, there will always be unused space on the sides (if you want to see everything in the frame). If you magnified the video to fill the entire screen, you'd cut off the top and bottom of the frame (unless you just stretch the image horizontally, which would look terrible).

To fill the entire screen (and cut off the top and bottom of the frame), try using a pinch-to-zoom gesture.

Thanks I haven't thought of that, and I'll try it.
Im just not sure why they would even give you the option to put YouTube on full screen mode. They even show you an example of how it would look in the settings menu.
I would much rather have a smaller phone than to have all this unused space just for the sake of a "big" screen.
Maybe there will be some kind of an update in the future. Thanks again!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that the screen is for more than just videos -- the added real estate can give you a bit more room for app shortcut icons on the homescreen, or make splitscreen more feasible to use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay