Why can't my phone do anything on WiFi with a poor mobile connection?

SheriffAmigo

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
This happened on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and now on my Note 3.

At home, my wifi signal is excellent (full bars). However, my standard Sprint cell reception is terrible (maybe 1 bar). The wifi performance appears to be dependent on regular cell reception (not referring to 3g/4g but call reception).
So if I have 1 bar of regular service, the wifi is essentially unusable, but if I have 2-3 bars, it gets much better.
The wifi performance is amazing when I put my phone in airplane mode with ONLY wifi on. I tried googling around and didn't find a solution.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This happened on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and now on my Note 3.

At home, my wifi signal is excellent (full bars). However, my standard Sprint cell reception is terrible (maybe 1 bar). The wifi performance appears to be dependent on regular cell reception (not referring to 3g/4g but call reception).
So if I have 1 bar of regular service, the wifi is essentially unusable, but if I have 2-3 bars, it gets much better.
The wifi performance is amazing when I put my phone in airplane mode with ONLY wifi on. I tried googling around and didn't find a solution.

WiFi should not be affected by your mobile/data signal. Try resetting the router and see if that helps. Otherwise, there could be an app or service interfering with the radio (which I don't find likely), so you can try to factory reset and see if that fixes the problem.

SheriffAmigo

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I actually meant to say Note 4, not 3. Since the phone is only a few days old, I'm not sure that a factory reset would help. Along those same lines, I havent installed many apps so I'm hesitant to suspect this is an app-related issue. I will reset the router though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing, based on past experience, that when you have both mobile data and wifi on, your phone is using mobile data and ignoring wifi. (Your carrier can't charge you for wifi.) They call it smart - I call it cheating the customer.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
How old is your router? How many devices are connected to it?

I recently had to replace my router. I seemed to get great connection with my laptop, but guests had trouble with slow connection on their smartphones. I just assumed it was their phones. Since getting a new router, friends and family have no problems using my wifi when visiting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan